Joanne California

Hope for the Homeless

Homelessness is an important issue that defines our nation and we should take this situation into consideration.

There are many issues in the world that require an arduous amount of time and dedication to solve, yet there are other communal issues that I feel like we, as a nation, should tackle. Although community issues are microscopic to every other situation going on in the world, valuing the lives of the less fortunate is an essential change that we should make. With local communities making up the entirety of our nation, I encourage you, Future President, to take a stand to further progress an action to lessen the percentage of homeless men, women, and children.

I never would have thought that something so little could ever affect me this much, but once I became involved with the Interact club at Santa Clara High School, I reserved a strenuous amount of time on weekends to help the less fortunate. Just last year, our District 5170 raised over $150,000 which led to donated care packages to the homeless and villages being built in Kenya.

I constantly roam the streets in San Jose and see just how many people there are on the streets hoping to live for another day, yet I never thought that for every 100,000 people, 795 of them do not have a roof to live under. To me, it simply doesn’t make sense. America is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, yet we can’t fund shelter for the less fortunate, many of whom are veterans or experience some sort of disorder or disease. Currently, the top one percent who has the highest income, donates their money to a charity of their own choice. I believe that you, as Future President, have the ability to truncate that amount of choice and specify where those who donate will be donating.

Put your loved ones in the position of the homeless. Wouldn’t you like to make a change or do anything to help them? It can be this simple. Passing around their neighborhood to check up on them or to bring them a meal that will satisfy them throughout the day is all someone needs to survive. We can’t constantly wait around and just hope that something good will come their way, but instead, play a key role in their lives to help them out with anything they need. Some may say that those who are on the streets put themselves in that position, but everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance. With less people on the streets and more people under roofs, we will strive to make the best out of our nation.

Although this may seem like a lot to ask, it can make a dramatic impact in the lives of many U.S. citizens. I believe that we, as a whole, can better the society that we live in. Please consider this change that would greatly benefit our nation.

Joanne 

Santa Clara High School

Flowers ERWC Period 5

This group is for seniors in Ms. Flowers' 5th period ERWC class.