cody Virginia

The Right to Bear Arms

The right to bear arms has been preserved throughout our history and needs to stay that way. Regulations are needed to keep gun owners in check, but do not need to completely abolish our right to own firearms.

I would like to congratulate you on your victory of the 2016 election over Donald Trump. As president, you are going to be forced to make decisions on topics that are quite challenging. One of many of the topics is the second amendment rights of U.S. citizens.

The right to bear arms has been preserved throughout our history and needs to stay that way. Regulations are needed to keep gun owners in check, but do not need to completely abolish our right to own firearms. If this right of ours wasn’t so important, our founding fathers wouldn’t have put it second on the Bill of rights.

While there is an extreme amount of gun related deaths in the U.S. every year, armed citizens play a role in stopping a few. With this being said, some limits should still be in place. The down side this is the more owners are limited, the more criminals have a chance to hurt our fellow americans.

I wish you luck in your term and I hope you can change America for the better. When I get of age to vote, hopefully you respect the second amendment and I can be a part of your re-election.

Cody

Eastern View High School

AP Language & Composition

AP Language & Composition students (11th grade) from Eastern View High School in Culpeper, VA are tasked with researching platforms, crafting political cartoons or pieces of satire, and writing letters and op-eds