Elijah F. Virginia

End Terrorism

Letter to the future president on the issue of terrorism

I would like to congratulate you on becoming the 44th President of the United States, but with that role comes many tasks and responsibilities. One of the tasks I feel most important is that of ending radical Islamic terrorism and ISIS. Their games have gone on long enough and not another American or innocent person needs to lose their life at the hands of ISIS. I feel that it is your duty as Commander-in-Chief to ensure the safety of all Americans from these terrorists and to finally take action on this matter.

The issue of handling terrorism is especially important to me because it concerns the safety of myself, my friends, and my family. We deserve to feel safe in our own communities without having to fear an attack at any given moment. Not only does this issue concern me, but it concerns the safety of all Americans and many others across the globe as they fear for impending terror attacks on a daily basis. Since 9/11/2001 to 12/31/2014, approximately 3,066 Americans have lost their lives as a result of terror attacks according to the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START). This does not include the more recent death tolls or those from other countries. If added, the number would increase significantly. Although I’ve never personally been impacted by a terror attack, it is only a matter of time before one reaches my town and I am not going to sit around and wait for it to happen to finally do something about it.

I do not believe you are uneducated on this matter at all, but it is apparent to me that the U.S. Government needs some extra “motivation” to handle this issue; hence why I am writing to you. As U.S. citizens are at risk for ISIS attacks, so are European citizens such as the victims of the Paris attacks, Bruxelles bombing, and so on. With that, I feel it is important to band together with our European allies to defeat a common enemy and end the war on terrorism once and for all. It appears to me that this issue is growing to to the lack of action being taken against these people. Russia is the only country actively doing something about this issue with some effect. We must join their efforts and take the fight to the enemy rather than having it come to our homeland. I do not condone the killing of innocent civilians, but I do believe it is appropriate to use air strikes effectively against the enemy. If we do not act fast and aggressively, the amount and severity of attacks will continue to rise. If you will, take a young child for example. If they do something bad and see that they can get away with it because nobody will do anything about it, then they will continue to do what they are doing until a parent takes action against them. This is the same logic for the actions of ISIS and we must do something to stop them.

The good thing about handling this issue is that there is more than one way to go about it. One of the potential tactics in combating ISIS is to pinpoint the source and attack it so that they collapse from the inside out. As I previously said, we must also gain support from countries who are experiencing the same issues so that we can come together to defeat a common enemy. Lastly, we must take matters into our own hands and drastically increase the number of air strikes against them so that they have no other choice but to submit and surrender.

Again, I know you are well aware of these issues that face our country, but whether or not something is done about it is largely up to you. I hope that you take heed of the issues I have expressed and the valid points I have made. I hope that with this letter and many others like it, that you will do your presidential duty and keep your fellow Americans safe from the potential dangers of terrorism that they face day to day. With that, I congratulate you on your election and hope that you defend uphold the constitution.

Elijah F.

Work Cited

"FACT SHEET American Deaths in Terrorist Attacks." N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.