Nick F. Pennsylvania

Standing/Not Standing For the Flag

Choosing to not stand for the flag

The topic I chose to write about is the controversial issue of not standing to honor the flag. Now I understand that people have the right to do this. We live in America, freedom of speech and the freedom to protest. I do not agree with it though. There are plenty of other ways that you can do what you want to do. There are people overseas dying for your right to disrespect the flag. It is ironic, but I see it as disrespectful to not stand for the flag. I do not understand what not standing for the flag does, all it does is make people mad and cause more problems.

Myself, going into the military, I take it on a personal level. There are people that give up so much, to make America a safe place to live, and a place where you can express your emotions freely. Then you basically come back and say "who cares what you sacrifice for the flag". By disrespecting the flag you are disrespecting the men and women who put their lives on the line for it everyday.

Other ways you can get your messages out is social media. In today’s society social media is such an influential tool, and with all of the followers/fans players have they should use it. Just post your thoughts on social media. That will spread your message way quicker. That way you will not be offending people with rude gestures or acts.