Hannah B. Minnesota

Black Lives Matter

Black Lives Matter is a group that protests the police, but in the process they are breaking laws. Black Lives Matter could be better than they are acting, instead of blocking highways they could be going to schools and making kids aware that everyone has the same rights, or even helping the law enforcement.

Congratulations on becoming our nation’s newest president. Since you are the new president your job comes with many responsibilities to our people. Which is why I would like you to take look at Black Lives Matter (BLM). BLM is a group of people, with no leaders, who protest against the police, claiming that black people are being mistreated in the justice system. I feel not all police are making decisions based on race or color due to this quote “Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015” (Donald, 1). Colored people feel like police are being racist and victims are being shot while unarmed. I believe Black Lives Matter should be a priority for you because people feel discriminated against, and we are separating ourselves. It is your responsibility to unite us and bring us together.

Black Lives Matter was started after a unarmed black person, not following orders, was shot by a white police officer. I believe that all people should follow orders given to them by police no matter who they are or what they look like. If they do not follow the rules, they should be punished. I think that if you are assaulting, offending, or injuring others you may be punished for this behavior. If a police officer fears that you may hurt them or others then you may be punished. “The use of deadly force by a peace officer, in the line of duty, is justified only when necessary.” (Minnesota statutes 609.066 www.revisor.mn.gov) This means that officers can act to protect himself/herself or another from a death or serious injury. They may also act if they have reason to believe that someone will, has or attempted a serious crime. But on the other hand Black Lives Matter could be educating all people that everyone has the same rights no matter what they look like. This group should spend their time going to schools and educating students. BLM could help the police by raising funds for more training and encourage more diverse people to become cops. Black Lives Matter could be better role models with some guidance from the president.

Most people think black or white. That either white people or black people have the control and the benefits of the system. “Mostly they all were products of single parents, and in the most tragic category/black boys, with no particular criminal inclinations but whose very lack of direction put them in the crosshairs of the world.”(Coates 1)

I hope that the quote above finds its way into your heart and shows you that not all black people are born bad or want to be bad, and that Black Lives Matter could become something far greater than it is.

To solve this issue, I ask the new president to become involved with this movement, and help Black Lives Matter to become better than they are by establishing leadership and helping them become educators VS. protesters. Peace and justice is a good global goal to work for. The world is made of different races and it is important for the president to help solve race issues both in the US and globally. This is a priority because it is dividing our nation.

Hannah B.

Chaska Middle School East

Mrs. Johnson's 8th Grade Global Studies

Global Studies class letters connecting national issues to the UN's Global Goals.