Daniel L. Pennsylvania

L2P

Letter to next president

Events in the recent year have shone a light on a serious problem in the United States. Police brutality and discrimination has created a giant uproar in all the communities of our nation. It is hard to ignore the fact that in 2015 police killed more than 102 unarmed African-Americans. The lack of repercussions for these police officers has raised questions in our society on whether the police are justified in these murders or if there is a flaw in our justice system. This ongoing conflict has gained a lot of attention and everyone has chimed in with their support for the victims. Celebrities, sports players, and sports teams have all done their part to try and raise awareness for police brutality.

Athletes from all sports have stepped up and tried to address the Black Lives Matter movement and police brutality claims. This previous July, four WNBA players for the Minnesota Lynx wore black shirts commemorating the deaths of Philando Castille, Alton Sterling, and Dallas police officers. Two years back athlete superstar Lebron James and a few of his teammates wore shirts that read, “I can't breathe” the last words of Eric Garner. New York Knicks basketball player Carmelo Anthony wrote a post on his instagram account regarding the innocent deaths at the hands of police officers. He wrote, “I’m calling for all my fellow ATHLETES to step up and take charge. Go to your local officials, leaders, congressmen, assemblymen/assemblywoman and demand change. There’s NO more sitting back and being afraid of tackling and addressing political issues anymore. Those days are long gone. We have to step up and take charge.” Now these are just a few examples of athletes who have taken a stand and protested against this current societal problem. There have been many more athletes whom have used their platforms of fame to address a serious problem. Our next president has to listen and make a change and provide a better country for its citizens.

All of the candidates spoke out on this current issue and racial injustice seemed to be at the focal point of every debate. Now that we are down to our last two candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump it is important that the winner does something to improve this social problem. Both candidates have spoken out on the Black Lives Matter movement, saying that it is very important to them and if elected they will do everything they can to reduce the innocent deaths of African-Americans. The two candidates might not agree on much, however they have both gone on the record to say that they will try to end racial injustice. The future president must end the racial profiling used by police officers and end gun violence on the streets. I sincerely hope that the future president will hear our protests and make a change. I hope that after november 8th, we will be one step closer to ending the prejudice towards minorities by our justice system. I hope that the future president puts a stop to the senseless violence. The future president needs to have a plan ready and they need to execute it.