Enaura.Aka

Cost Of College

Hear us now! Hear our words! why does college tuition have to stop us from succeeding?

Imagine if your child was a person of integrity and is dedicated to going to college but they could not due to the very high cost of tuition. How would you feel personally? Upset right. Many seventeen and eighteen year old high school seniors who graduated from high school and are excited to continue on to their life and attend college but because they are unable to afford it they can not progress through their successful future they have planned. With the rises in the cost of college and the amount of loans to owe causes a struggle for people to become successful in life. This issue must be worked on immediately so that all America’s students who want to go to college and can not afford it can actually go without stress of tuition and loan.

Tuition and fees have skyrocketed in the last five years. Claudio Sanchez points out, “In arizona, for example, parents have seen a 77 percent increase in cost. In Georgia, it's 75 percent, and in washington state 70 percent.” Before majority of people believed college was for the wealthy people, 72 years ago. GL Bill was a successful idea for affordable college costs but it did not last for a period of time. The article The problem is that free college is not free says, There are average 23 million addicts in america that need treatment but, last year fewer than 10 were able to get help. The fact that 60 to 70 percent of the community college students have to take at least one remedial course as the 40 percent of those at public four year tuition. Or how students who have to attend a public four year college with lower graduation rates are least likely to finish than similar peers who attend better schools.

Despite the free tuition, only one third of students from low income quartile who began at a community college in 2003, finished a degree on a certificate by 2009. Two year students from the top income quartile did not do much better only by 42 percent. The reality is that free college is not free, it simplifies cost from students to taxpayers and caps tuition at zero. That tuition cap then limits college spending to whatever the public is willing to invest. Additionally a influx of federal money may lead profligate administrators to spend even more money. That is not helping solutions it's actually making it worse because low income can't afford to pay college tuition that aren't really tuition.

Our 2008 through 2016 president Barack Obama rolled out a new plan to make two years of community college free for millions of students across the country. In addition, rather than spending scarce federal money across all students, policy makers should instead target those resources toward those who need it most and empower them to choose the option public or private that fits their needs.

From research from article, Is college education worth it? I would say it is worth it. I understand that students dept overwhelmed many seniors whether they co-signed for a child or grandchild education, or took out loans for their own education. But on the other hand it is worth it because college graduates have lower poverty rates. The 2008 poverty rate for bachelor’s degree holders was 4%, compared to 12% poverty rate for high school graduates, which is a great improvement for college students.

Dear next president, please discern the cry of kids and young adults across the united states who need to go to college and become successful with a healthy career. Those who can't afford college but have a plan for college who want to become somebody and go to college as well. Create a law that offers a decrease of cost in student loan and a possibility for free college. Remember there's a difference between a want and a need. Hope you read and take this into your thought in the changes in America and listen to our words.

Yours truly,

Enaura aka

Cristo Rey Philadelphia High school student

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/01/20/should-college-be-free/the-problem-is-that-free-college-isnt-free

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=290868013

https://newsela.com/articles/obama-communitycollege/id/6866/

http://college-education.procon.org/

Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School

Walker

Upload your letter here.