Angela S. New York

Why is college tuition so high?

College is an achievement many high school students wish to reach. But the cost of college has been rising every year from the hundreds to the thousands. Most can't pay the price up front, so they take out student loans. These student loans though are causing young adults to be in deep debt putting their lives on hold.

To the President,

Hello, my name is Angela and I'm in high school. In two years I will be going to college. Recently I was looking into some schools and I was shocked to see how much college costs. I think as president you should make college more affordable for lower income and middle class families.

College tuition is rising every year. According to CNBC news, "The average cost of tuition and fees at a private, non-profit, four-year university this school year was $31,231—up sharply from $1,832 in 1971-1972 (in current dollars). At public, four-year schools, tuition and fees cost about $9,139 this year. In the 1971 school year, they added up to less than $500 in current dollars, according to the College Board."This makes it harder for one to go to school to continue one's education. Most students get a student loan, which pays for their college, but after college they must repay that loan with interest. The payment of loans is holding people back in life. As explained on http://college-education.procon.org/, "Student loan debt often forces college graduates to live with their parents and delay marriage, financial independence, and other adult milestones". These young adults can't live a happy independent life. Debt stops all of the progress in their lives.

It is also known that many college graduates are employed in jobs that don't need college degrees, such as working at McDonald's or clerking in a store. All the work and money placed into college doesn't "pay" off. People aren't using the skills they've learned. Some students who pay for college end up not even graduating due to the stress of mounting debt.

As I've said before, college is extremely expensive and will take a while to pay off depending on the school, but if you don't do any good with what you paid for then it will only be a waste of yours' and the governments' money. College is becoming too expensive, and it will only increase. It's bad enough that people right now are struggling to pay off loans while they're in their forties. College education shapes your career. But the price is stressing people out too much. Again, I think as president you should work to make college more affordable so graduates aren't drowning in debt.

Thank you,

Angela