lina k. Georgia

College Cash

Are college students money machines? Do they go to college for education or to pay off their college tuition debts? Is going to a good college really worth it?

Sixty three thousand seven hundred fifty dollars, $64,254, $65,630, $66,383, $67,255… When will these prices stop getting more expensive? According to infoplease.com, the 20 most expensive colleges and universities in the U.S. exceed $60,000 per year for tuition plus room and board and other required fees. It’s almost as if these colleges only want students with $70,000 rolling around their kitchen floor! It’s time for a change in the college tuition.

According to the website procon.org, the debt of an average college student is about $28,950. Twenty eight thousand nine hundred-fifty dollars! This is insane! With this amount of debt the students owe, they’ll be too busy trying to pay their debt back rather than actually studying and getting education. But wait, this isn’t the only problem.

From 1995 to 2015, public in-state college tuition has increased $7,100. Public out-of-state college tuition increased $17,000 but that’s not all; Private college tuition increased $24,500! That’s an insane amount of money! These big amount of numbers make me think that these colleges really don’t want us there. There isn’t a perfect solution to this crazy college tuition problem, but! There is a better solution.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. If we lower the college tuitions, we would have to pay more taxes and the students would still have a big amount of fee to pay and the rest would get very furious, right? So, instead of increasing the taxes to lower the college tuition, how about we prevent the government from wasting the taxes that they collect from the citizens by using them in unhelpful projects. According to the Fisical Times, “... in the sprawling $1.1 trillion omnibus spending bill approved by the Congress last week, lawmakers boosted the Obama administration’s original $11 billion request to buy 57 planes by another $1.3 billion.” this was such a waste of money! If we reduce the money spent on stupid. Unhelpful projects, we could decrease the college tuition!

I honestly do not believe that you are in any way unintroduced about this problem facing our country. In fact, I am sure that you are more aware of this issue than I am, but as a student attending a school in the U.S., that cares about their father education after high school, this problem is very important to be discussed about. Students are like plants, waiting to be watered with education. Dear future president, please be the waterer for the students.

Thank you for your consideration,

Lina K.