Paul S. New York

Gun Control in Texas

The recent ruling in Texas is causing major concerns to American communities about the benefits this law has on the American population.

Dear Madam or Mister President,

The 2016 election has had a lot of unique stories around each candidate. As a result, I congratulate the president for their victory as it signals new changes for America. Though the president have many duties that they need to fulfill, I wish to bring up a very important topic.

Over the course of the 21st century, many lives were lost due to gun's not being controlled properly enough. For instance, on August 9, 2014, Michael Brown a African american was shot and killed with a gun. Though the 2nd amendment, does allow police officers to carry guns, these amendments were designed with the purpose of ensuring people's natural rights  under the Declaration of Independence. Therefore, Michael Brown being shot violates the idea of him living, which then begs the question: Are we really honoring our forefather's wishes in the Declaration of Independence?"

At a young age, my grandparents died in a violent act of murder. The  use of guns not only took their life away, but also took their right of being an American. This created many grievances over my life as I lost a important part of myself with their deaths. Though others may have other experiences many would had experienced a  heavy heart hoping one day that these violent acts of murder would not be committed. Yet, with a recent law passed in Texas, the implications it has on America's communities should not be legalized.

In August 1,2016 Texas passed the campus carry act which allows college students to have guns with them at schools. With the past events of Sandy Hook and even Columbine high school, this act creates major concerns nationwide about the usage of guns. Though college students have gun licenses, the guns still being in the hands of these civilians are not to be trusted. For instance, Jamie Lee a recent graduate of the University of Texas at Austin stated "How many parents do you think are thrilled to suddenly know that the campus where their child sleeps, eats, and does everything else now has the possibility of guns on it? In the hands not of trained officers, but civilians" to CNN. In addition, with having guns in the school's accidents can happen which are unaccounted for such as Tarleton State University where a trained civilian who has a gun license shot a gun by accident. Though America has developed greatly over the past eight years, the usage of guns must be accounted for.

Therefore, we must re-consider our efforts towards the gun policy that is established within the United States. The president should advocate to Congress that gun control should be limited across the 50 states.In addition, all of the state governments should not be given the power to veto Congress ruling regarding gun control based to the events that have taken place over the past few months at Texas. Please honor our forefathers wishes to protect the natural rights that every person is born with to ensure that every person has the tools needed to become a true American serving America's ideals for the future.

Respectfully,

Paul Seo 

East-West School of International Studies

Government - 6th Period

EWSIS 12th Grade Government - Mr. Jacobson and Mr. Pierini