Carina R. Pennsylvania

Although we already have gun control, it is not strict enough. We need gun control so fewer people have access to guns and to reduce gun deaths.

Today, over 30 Americans are going to be murdered by guns. That's over 30 Americans whose lives are going to end tragically today. How do we stop this? Gun control. Although we already have it, current gun control is not strict enough. We need gun control so fewer people have access to guns and to reduce gun deaths.

Right now more than one-third of Americans say they or someone in their house owns a gun. That means that anyone, even a small child, could accidentally trigger a gun and cause an unnecessary tragedy. The Washington Post reported a story in which a three year old girl was getting a snack when her father's hand gun, hidden on the shelf, fell, discharged, and shot her in the stomach. A few hours later she died. That is just one of the hundreds of accidental child involved shootings every year. This needs to change.

The website heedinggodscall.org has posted some alarming statistics about gun deaths. For example, more than 30,000 people are killed every year by firearms. Half of those 30,000 people are young adults between the ages of 18 and 35. Those people still had their whole life in front of them but it was cut short by one person's wrong move. Also, 10,000 of that 30,000 are homicides. That means that more than 10,000 innocent lives are unnecessarily lost every year. Because those numbers are too high for anyone to be comfortable with, stronger gun control is needed.

To improve gun control, there are two main things we need to do. The first, and most important, is that we should do a psychiatric test on anyone who wants to buy a gun. By doing this, we will have a better idea of whether or not the consumer will use the gun in a safe way. The second way to improve gun control is by only letting people own one gun so they can not cause mass damage. In addition, customers should only be able to buy a limited amount of ammunition at a time. Although my plan may not be fool proof, it will make America safer than it is now.

In conclusion, strong gun control is necessary for two important reasons. Reason number one is because it is too easy for someone to find a gun and use it to cause monumental damage. The second reason we need better gun control is because there are too many innocent people dying unnecessarily every year. If we can put a better, stronger gun control plan into action the world that future generations grow up in will be a safer, more secure place.

Carina