Brendon Washington

The Violent Use of Guns

Gun laws need to change, as it has caused so much violence over the years in our country. People have used guns in all the wrong ways, hurting themselves as well as others. people need to feel safe in their home and not be endangered when they go outside, Gun laws need to change.

Dear Madam or Mr. President,

Guns have created a lot of violence in past years with school shootings, as well as murders that involve a gun. Guns have helped our people numerous times in the past such as winning independence from Great Britain but times have changed, there has been more gun violence than ever before, and so must be laws that involve more restrictions to guns.

According to abc news multiple students were shot on a shared parking lot of two high schools with abc stating; “Police said she may have been targeted, adding that the incident was ‘not a random shooting.’" This is only one of many shootings that took place on school property and the fact that the shooter was possibly targeting a student. It's not just schools that are targeted but various other places such as the gay night club in orlando shooting that took place on June 12th of 2016 which became the largest mass shooting in U.S. history. According to CNN “Mateen carried an assault rifle and a pistol into the packed Pulse club about 2 a.m. Sunday and started shooting, killing 49 people and wounding at least 53, officials said.” The shooter had accessed to multiple firearms that were used during the shooting. His ex wife later stated that he had showed signs of having a mental illness, showing even though you might be showing signs of a mental illness you are able to purchase and own firearms. As the years go on the rate of gun violence is steadily increasing. Currently Chicago has had over 350 shootings in october alone according to the washington post, leading chicago to have more homicides than last year, and even more than New York and Los Angeles’ homicide tolls combined all of these stories involve violence involving guns, from shootings on school property to more increased homicide rate involving guns in some states.

This issue is pretty important, as I want to feel safe within my community and not have to worry about any possible dangers to my life, but with so much gun violence and dangerous situations that involve guns I do not feel safe within the community. Gun have been used for so much that it does not concern just me but thousands of other americans, to the point where we need pretty strict gun laws to attempt to keep gun violence at a low.

What we need to keep us safe from gun violence to creatively think of a way to keep guns away from people who have a background with not just crime, but have have potentially diagnosed with a mental illness or suffering through a kind of depression. What we can do to limit these tragic events we could provide more background checks and more strict gun laws to help keep our neighborhoods safe.

Brendon 

Foster High School

Nohl's 2nd period Civics

22nd period class