Isabelle Pennsylvania

Deforestation

November 2, 2016 Dear Future President, Deforestation is a major problem that needs to be solved. It has had an immense impact on the world. Many species have lost their habitats in response to deforestation, and it plays a big part in global warming. Without trees, it's not likely we would be able to survive. There are many reasons why deforestation happens. Sometimes, it occurs naturally, such as in result of forest fires, disease, and natural disasters. Most of the time it is because of people cutting trees down. Many logging operations are involved with deforestation, some working illegally! When people cut trees down, they are usually sold as fuel, used in structures, or simply cut down to clear an area or build houses. However, because of deforestation, we've lost nearly 50% of the world's original forest, an incredibly immense amount! Every year, forests the size of Panama are lost! Deforestation is also a large factor of global warming. It is the source of 15-20% of global carbon emissions and drives climate change. Trees protect soil from the sun, and keep it moist. Without trees for shade, soil could easily dry out, turning forests into deserts. Trees also greatly help with the water cycle by returning water vapor into the atmosphere. In addition, trees absorb greenhouse gases that fuel global warming. Besides this, trees give out a very large amount of oxygen. A single tree can produce as much oxygen as 10 people breathe in a year! Another impact deforestation makes is on species’ habitats. Many creatures lose their homes as a result of deforestation. Just a single tree provides a lot of basic needs. Around 70% of land animals live in forests, and many cannot survive deforestation. Also, around 80% of the world's known plant and animal species live in tropical rainforests. In my opinion, it is so heartbreaking to see pictures of animals suffering with no place to go as a result of deforestation. A solution to slow deforestation could be to encourage that with every tree cut down, a new one must be planted. I also think that more rules should be placed. We could start to use different materials to make things as well. In conclusion, deforestation has to stop. The impact it leaves on the world are extremely negative. At the current rate of deforestation, in 100 years the world's rainforests could disappear! That is not okay when you think about how many species are at risk, and how much the environment could suffer. I really think that it would be so much better if we worked out more solutions, such as using different types of materials, and planting more trees. Overall, deforestation must be solved. Sincerely, Isabelle

Deforestation