Ethan D. Michigan

Save the Food

Wasting food is causing problems and we need to educate people on its effects and causes.

The stereotype that children don't eat their food is well known, but also very bad. Wasting food is really common in the US, and it can be really harmful to the US and the environment.

According to the article “ Top 3 reasons not to waste food”, “More than one third of the food produced in the United States goes uneaten, according to the Academy of nutrition and dietetics. This waste contribute to problems ranging from hunger to malnutrition to environmental and economic concerns”. What they are saying is that wasting food is causing more than just hunger in the world, it's also causing economic issues and environmental issues too, because of this we need to stop people from wasting food.

I think because of this growing problem we should set up better programs. According to the article “58 organizations fighting food waste around the world”,” at least 1.3 billion tons of food is lost or wasted every year”,” and rich countries alone, some 222 million tons of food is wasted”,”Organization (FAO), wasted food cost some US $680 billion in industrial countries and US $310 billion in developing countries”. All of these were important to me because they all prove that food wasting affects the rich countries the most. The quotes also state that it affects the nation in not only hunger it also affects the economy and/or our money. All of these help prove that wasting food is not helping, but not only harming us with hunger.

A question people might raise is “why is this important. It is not going to affect us in this generation”. Maybe not until a few more generations but the fact is we are affecting the next generations to come. We need to be aware that everything we do and will do is going to affect our future generations. People might also ask how would we be able to fix this we can't just walk into people's homes and yell at them for throwing away their extra scraps well we can't and that's where you come in.

Next president I am not writing this letter for you to make a bill or a law or something fancy like that I'm just asking you to make people more aware of this problem. Not a lot of people know about it and honestly I didn't until a week ago but we need to make the public aware of this problem. yes I do know that just telling people is not going to drastically change their lifestyle but we have to put our faith in the people and the public.

So I ask you next president make the public aware of this food wasting problem. Let people know the consequences. Let them know what will happen if we don't stop wasting food. I thank you for reading this and hope you can help.

Ethan D

Hausauer 4th Hour

Fourth Hour ELA 10