Carley V. Connecticut

World Hunger

End World Hunger Now

There are many issues that need to be addressed in the world today. World hunger is one of the biggest issues that needs to be improved upon. More attention needs to be paid to world hunger because almost 792.5 million people in the world do not get the food they need to live a long healthy life. That is about one out of every nine people in the world. Therefore, one solution worth considering is reducing chronic hunger by having food donations and lowering food prices.

The number one cause of world hunger is poverty. Poverty exists all over the world. The number of people of all races, gender, and age who are affected by poverty has been going up since 1960. There are many causes of poverty. National debt is one cause of poverty, many poor countries in the world convey important debt loads due to loans from wealthier nations and international financial institution. Discrimination can also be a cause of poverty. Gender discrimination has been a big factor in holding many women and children around the world in poverty. Lowering the cost of food would help the people living in poverty be able to afford to buy more food for themselves and their families.

World hunger mostly affects children with estimated 146 million children around the world being underweight. World hunger is a very large issue for children to be dying every day from suffering hunger. Poor nutrition causes about half 45% of deaths in children under five. In 2010, an estimated 7.6 million children — more than 20,000 children a day died. Hunger kills more and more people each year than some illnesses.

It makes me feel horrible that I can eat whenever I want to eat and there are people all over the world suffering from hunger every day. I used to go to the orthodontist for braces and get them tightened every month and I could not eat for the next two days because my mouth so bad. I felt like I was dying to eat, but I realized people all over the world suffer from chronic hunger for more much longer than two days.

I want people to worry about other things besides where their food will come from. So, future president are you willing to fix this large issue in the world? We really need your help in ending world hunger. It's all in your hands!

Carley V.

East Hartford High School

Period C ENG IV

College Prep level class, 12th grade