Jordyn B. Texas

Why we should ban STAAR

persuasive letter to the next President to cancel the Standardize testing

Dear Mr/madam President,

Today, in Texas, kids are hoping that if they don't pass the STAAR they can still proceed on to the next grade. At this stage in life, kids should just focus on themselves and find out who they are, instead of thinking of who they're going to be if they don't pass. Kids should not have to deal with this much stress. The STAAR test should be eradicated in Texas. Homework, quizzes, and test are already enough to spend a few hours to studying for, and having this big test that determines if you keep going or repeat the grade is already too much pressure to handle. Mr/Madam president, make it possible to take away the STAAR.

The STAAR test gets to see where students are and if they have learned at all, but it shouldn't determine if they get to move on or get held back. Grades do not define a student! Some students don't do well on tests, but do great on daily assignments. We shouldn't determine a student's future on one test. We should follow their work through the year and see how they have gotten better. If they haven't gotten better, then they could come to tutorials everyday until they've got it down.

The STAAR is limited to a strict 4 hour period, which increases the pressure to finish on students. Kids should want to come to school and have a fun time, but whenever teachers or students bring up the STAAR, students freak out and they get stressed about it. Kids start bringing themselves down and say things like “I'm gonna fail” or “I'm not gonna be able to go on” We want students to be confident and be happy of how far they have come.

The STAAR puts a lot of stress on student. Most of the tests fall on the nation's 8th graders and each student has taken about 112 tests from pre-k to 12th grade. Testing does not help you in real life because there are no questions that will help you in the future. That much stress should not be put on any students. Mr/ Madam president, ban the STAAR test.

Congratulations for becoming our president. I know you'll do great things for this country

Thank you,

Jordyn 

@BreitbartNews. "Scrapped STAAR Scores Add to Frustrations Over Standardized Testing in Texas." Breitbart News. 15 June 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Despite Issues, STAAR Testing Remains By Elizabeth Kamenicky [email protected] The Eagle | 0 comments. "Despite Issues, STAAR Testing Remains." The Eagle. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Impact." Texas Business Leadership Council. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Save Texas Schools." Save Texas Schools. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Cedar Valley Middle School

Ms. Collins' students

These are the wonderful ideas of my 8th grade students and their advice to the next President of the United States.