Jillian P. New York

Do You Want To Live Underwater?

Global Warming is an extreme issue, not only in the United States, but all over the world.

Do You Want to Live Underwater?

People these days tend to be extremely inconsiderate. We constantly put ourselves before others, and people will do anything to benefit themselves. Everyone worries about the new IPhone 7 coming out, or the latest version of a computer or a new xbox game; but no one realizes how much of an issue global warming is. According to Lee Hannah, a senior scientist for climate change biology with Conservation international, “one in five species may be at risk from climate change” (Howard 4). When you think about it, that is an extreme amount of animals that cannot survive the climate change. This emphasizes that global warming is an issue that must be addressed on a national level because major ice sheets are melting and animal habitats are being disrupted by the rising sea levels.

Global warming is an issue that needs to be addressed on a national level because major ice sheets are melting. Scientific evidence proves that "Greenland is one of the more pronounced contributors to sea level rise. In order to know how Greenland's ice may change in the future, we need to focus on the areas where the changes have occurred over both short and long time periods." (Kahn 4) This gives a valid reason as to why global warming should be put to an end, because people are in danger as far as living comfortably, without walking around in a few feet of water that is. One major effects of global warming is the increasing sea level. Brian Kahn at LiveScience mentioned "The Greenland ice sheet contains enough water that, if melted, would raise sea levels up to 23 feet. Rising temperatures have already eaten away at it, and Greenland's ice sheet is responsible for about 30 percent of the observed foot of sea level rise since the start of the 20th century" (Kahn 4). Greenland’s melting ice sheets are contributing to the rising sea levels and can cause certain coastal areas in danger; which explains my next point. Future coastal areas are in danger, and they shouldn’t be. Science Advances explains that “It's melting faster than previous estimates, particularly in areas where the ice sheet comes in direct contact with the ocean. It's a troubling finding for the future of coastal areas around the world” (Kahn 3). The areas on the coast will be affected devastatingly because of the rising sea levels due to the melting ice sheets. For example, the sea level can rise so high o the point where coastal areas can sink completely. So one day, people may be reading about the “Lost City of Long Island” instead of Atlantis.

Global Warming is an issue that needs to be addressed on a national level because animals are being disrupted in their own habitats. The first species to ever go extinct due to Climate Change, was in Australia, and it was a small rat which went by the name (scientific name of course) Bramble Cay melomys. Scientists are still shocked by the outcome of this issue, although the species only went extinct in 2014.’"We knew something had to be first, but this is still stunning news,"’ (Howard 4) said Lee Hannah, who I mentioned previously. But the most disgusting part of the matter was how the species went extinct. “The rats were first seen by Europeans on the island in 1845, and there were several hundred there as of 1978. But since 1998, the part of the island that sits above high tide has shrunk from 9.8 acres to 6.2 acres (4 hectares to 2.5 hectares). That means the island's vegetation has been shrinking, and the rodents have lost about 97 percent of their habitat.” The extinction of these species altered the food chain of another animal which means we should be hearing of another extinction within a few years. The sad thing is according to Lee Hannah “this species could’ve been saved” (Howard 4) if it weren’t for us selfish humans that is.

Although there is clear evidence that Global Warming is in fact real,there are reports saying that Global Warming is ‘just a hoax’ and it’s ‘not real’. But believe it or not, there’s factual evidence proving Global Warming is ‘just a hoax’. For example NASA has done research and instead of the temperatures increasing like they’re suppose to be, they’re decreasing! “According to NASA’s own data via Remote Sensing Systems(RSS), the world has warmed a mere .36 degrees Fahrenheit over the last 35 years (they started measuring the data in 1979).” (“New” 2), says the author. More statistics regarding the decrease in temperature, are depicted in NASA’s research “despite this clear evidence that the temperatures are increasing, the global warming hysteria only seems to be increasing” (“New” 2). The author also says that “Weakening the global warming argument is data showing that the North Polar ice cap is increasing in size. Recent satellite images from NASA actually reflect an increase of 43% to 63%.” (“New” 2); proving that global warming is just one big hoax.

Global Warming is a big deal. It is affecting not only animals but humans as well. The rising sea levels are extremely dangerous because they can rise to the point where they can drown coastal areas, preventing us (along with animals) to not live comfortably in our own environment. Therefore causing a mass extinction. Although it’s too late to save the planet per se, we can help prolong the lifespan of Earth and the species currently living on it. Because who doesn’t love saving the Earth right?

Best Wishes,

Jillian P.

VS North HS

Italiano/Suarez Per 2

These letters were written by 9th grade students. They spent two weeks researching issues and one week learning how to write an argument letter. This was the first project of this magnitude that they have ever experienced, they learned a lot, and they are very happy to be done! Thank you for reading.