Andrew U. New York

Prevention of Violence in Schools

All American schools should have surveillance cameras in order to adequately protect students from violent intruders.

There has been many problems in the world with violence in schools. For instance fights and intruders with weapons have been affecting the kids and parents of the kids. During the year 2010-2011 there has been 31 violent deaths. In the sandy hook incident there were 20 children and 6 kids were killed. This can be a huge problem because it can lead to the kids not wanting to come to school. All American schools should have surveillance cameras in order to adequately protect students from violent intruders. 

Violence needs to be stopped in schools because it can cause kids to get distracted and to be worried to come to school. The security in schools should get beefed up. This is because it allows security or teachers to stop a fight. Bidwell reveals, “ During the mass shooting incident that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012, 20 children and six adults were killed. In the year since that incident, there were 17 other school-associated violent deaths, the report found” (1). The narrator reveals “Overall, more students experienced incidents of theft and violence at school than away from school. The crime rate works out to about 52 incidents per 1,000 students at school, compared with 35 incidents per 1,000 students in 2010. The rates of victimization in 2012 were also greater for males than females, as well as in urban or suburban areas than rural areas”(Bidwell 1). This quote means that throughout the years there has been a lot of school associated deaths. There have been fights inside and outside of schools causing kids to get hurt or fatally injured. Getting in fights can lead to kids being scared to come to school and it also interferes with their education.

To prevent violence in schools from breaking or happening schools should get there security better. An example of this would be getting security cameras to let the school know if there are fights and if there are they could stop it. Another example would be schools to be able to put metal detectors at all the entrance and exit doors. This can help the school know that when an intruder comes in the school an alarm will sound let everyone know that an intruder has entered. Allie Bidwell “Detectors are also not self-operating because although the equipment produces some type of alarm signal, a trained officer is still required to investigate the source of the alert and to verify whether it is a weapon or other object.”(Cadiz 1). There should be a security guard waiting by the metal detector because they don’t work automatically there needs to be someone operating the machine. Also the security guard needs to make sure that the item that is being scanned is not a weapon or something else. Another idea that can lead to less intruders coming into schools is keep all the doors in the school closed and lock which can prevent any intruders from coming in. In schools kids are not the only ones getting harmed. According to Bidwell, “But students aren't the only ones experiencing violence in schools. During the 2011-12 school year, more teachers reported being threatened with injury or said they were physically attacked by a student during the previous 12 months. Overall, 9 percent of teachers said they were threatened with injury – lower than the 12 percent who responded similarly in 1993-94, but higher than the 7 percent who said so in 2003-04 and 2007-08. And the 5 percent of teachers who said they had been physically attacked by a student was higher than in any previous survey year, the report found.”(Bidwell 1). This shows that kids are not only getting attacked they are also the ones that are either attacking teachers or teachers are harming other teachers. 

Protecting the students can be a hard but a satisfying job. This can be a good thing to do because it can help the kids focus on schools and it can also help them not be afraid to come to school so they don’t think that something is going to happen to them. A good thing that the school can do is get experienced officers to work in the school to protect anyone from coming in and harming anybody. Protecting the students can also be handled using security objects like hand held metal detectors and also the big metal detectors. This can prevent anyone with a knife, bomb, or gun from harming anyone. Bidwell reveals, “Using metal detectors at the main entrances of schools generally serves to reduce the risk of students, staff or any other visitor entering the premises with a gun, knife, bomb or other dangerous metallic object. Metal detectors may either be handheld or stationary and people are required either to walk through them or to submit themselves to a search before being allowed to enter the school.”(Cadiz 1).Metal detectors can prevent a lot of violence in schools from happening.

Violence in schools should not be allowed for the reason that kids and teachers can get harmed. This can also cause the kids to lose focus and they can also be afraid to come to school. There are many ways to prevent violence from happening in schools. One is to use metal detectors in all the door ways to prevent any intruders from harming anybody. Another way is to either have security cameras and to have security guards to guard the doors.

Andrew Urena

VS North HS

Italiano/Suarez Per 2

These letters were written by 9th grade students. They spent two weeks researching issues and one week learning how to write an argument letter. This was the first project of this magnitude that they have ever experienced, they learned a lot, and they are very happy to be done! Thank you for reading.