tim m. New York

The Positives of Having Immigrants in Our Country

People who immigrate to the US should be given the opportunity to become legal because they are trying to have a better life for them and their family; also; the US is a country built of immigrants.

I think that immigration should be allowed in the US. “ One accessible resource the most current available data on the 42.4 million immigrants who lived in the United States in 2014.”42.4 million is a large number of immigrants in our country but these people all came here looking for a better life for them and their families. People who immigrate to the US should be given the opportunity to become legal because they are trying to have a better life for them and their family; also; the US is a country built of immigrants.

People are against deportation people from presidents to just regular citizens President Obama says “ he is soon expected to take a step toward fixing our broken immigration system by issuing an executive order to halt deportations of undocumented immigrants whose children are U.S. citizens” (Obama 2).This shows how even former president Obama thinks our system is corrupt. President George W. Bush “ took major steps to limit deportations on humanitarian grounds. In 2001, he limited deportation of Salvadoran citizens at the request of the Salvadoran president who said that their remittances were a key part of their nation's economy” (Obama 3). President Bush also did work to fix this system he has limited deportation “ In 1987, the Reagan administration took executive action to limit deportations for 200,000 Nicaraguan exiles, even those who had been turned down for asylum”( Obama 3). Reagan also put work into this topic how people came here to live the american dream; they came to work ; not to cause trouble but to better themselves. The writer of my article President Barack Obama has contributed to this topic a lot

This beautiful country of ours was was brought together by immigrants just about everyone in our country at one point in their family was an immigrant. “For more than 200 years, our tradition of welcoming immigrants from around the world has given us a tremendous advantage over other nations” ( Obama 2).This just shows how immigrants desire to stay here if they work to get here and once they get here they’re not causing trouble there is no need to deport them. “The federal courts, too, have recognized that presidents inherently have the power to choose not to enforce immigration laws in a particular instance and thus to not initiate deportation proceedings even when a person is not lawfully in the country” (Obama 2). This shows how the the president has the power to either deport as many illegal immigrants as they see or they can let the immigrants who are working to better themselves and their family. “Meanwhile, I worked with Congress on a comprehensive fix, and last year, 68 Democrats, Republicans, and independents came together to pass a bipartisan bill in the Senate. It wasn't perfect. It was a compromise” ( Obama 4). This just shows how they are trying to fix the system.

Many minors are being obtained at border more now than ever. “ Although this summer [2014], there was a brief spike in unaccompanied children being apprehended at our border, the number of such children is now actually lower than it's been in nearly two years. Overall, the number of people trying to cross our border illegally is at its lowest level since the 1970s. Those are the facts” ( Obama 5). They are saying that children have been coming here at all ages to try and have a better life. “ We are a nation of immigrants and it is not reasonable or fair to think that the current system can be reformed without allowing many already here the option to stay”( Obama 1). This shows how our system is not fair for everyone and that the system is corrupt. “The only exception would be for minors who arrived here with their parents. Provided they have not committed any serious crimes, such individuals should be immediately eligible for citizenship” (Obama 4). People who come to America with minors might be able to stay here even if they come illegally.                                                                                          Immigration should be allowed and that people who do make the trip to America legally or illegally they should be allowed to stay. Many children come to America for a better education so they will have more opportunities in life. One example of this is Astrid Silva “ Astrid was brought to America when she was four years old. Her only possessions were a cross, her doll, and the frilly dress she had on. When she started school, she didn't speak any English. She caught up to other kids by reading newspapers and watching PBS [Public Broadcasting Service], and she became a good student. Her father worked in landscaping. Her mom cleaned other people's homes. They wouldn't let Astrid apply to a technology magnet school, not because they didn't love her, but because they were afraid the paperwork would out her as an undocumented immigrant—so she applied behind their back and got in. Still, she mostly lived in the shadows—until her grandmother, who visited every year from Mexico, passed away, and she couldn't travel to the funeral without risk of being found out and deported. It was around that time she decided to begin advocating for herself and others like her, and today, Astrid Silva is a college student working on her third degree” ( Obama 5). This story just shows that children and just all immigrants come here for a better life.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Sincerely,                                                                                                                                                                      TM

VS North HS

Italiano/Suarez Per 2

These letters were written by 9th grade students. They spent two weeks researching issues and one week learning how to write an argument letter. This was the first project of this magnitude that they have ever experienced, they learned a lot, and they are very happy to be done! Thank you for reading.