Mara Louisiana

Immigration Isn't That Intimidating

If immigrants are paying U.S taxes ,obeying U.S. laws and working in the U.S. then they should have just as much right as anyone else.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” Franklin D. Roosevelt meant that all Americans are immigrants, so it would not make sense to export immigrants or to prevent immigration. As our new president, I think that you should make immigration fair.

To begin, it is important that you take steps to help with immigration because many children are at a possible risk of losing their parents due to deporting illegal immigrants. In fact according to “Just make them legal already”, “This could be especially crippling to Latino children, who rely heavily on their family systems,”(Sam Tracy, Gale)which tend to go back several generations. Furthermore, if “undocumented immigrants live and work here, pay U.S. taxes and place their kids in U.S. schools”(Sam Tracy, Gale) then they should be able to live here just as anyone else, “regardless of when or how they first arrived.” In addition, if someone was to argue that all immigrants that “aren't legal and therefore need to be deported, then you have to acknowledge the fact that all non-Native Americans are illegal by definition of invading land that isn't theirs.”(Sam Tracy, Gale) Something that most people do not realize is that the U.S. is not theirs therefore they are considered illegal immigrants and they, too, would have to be deported.

Once more, Mr./Mrs. President, please use your influence to help the issue of immigration because many people who obey the U.S. laws and pay the U.S.’s taxes are having to deal with unnecessary procedures. It would greatly improve the situation with immigration if you were to make several of the immigration laws a bit more lax.

Mara M.

Patrick F. Taylor Science & Technology Academy

Gifted English Grades 6&7

Gifted English writers of Patrick F. Taylor Academy.