Hayden C. Arizona

Gun control should include extensive background checks and stopping people from obtaining them illegally but it should not include the restriction of certain types of guns.

Dear next President,

Congratulations on your recent victory over the other despicable candidate. I am glad you have prevailed and I believe that you can continue to lead our country to greatness. An important issue that I would like to bring into your radar is gun control. As the years go on our government has been taking away more and more of citizens rights to own a gun and what kind of gun we can own. It is said that guns increase the amount of violent crimes in our country however the criminals who commit these horrendous crimes will do it one way or another be it using a bomb instead or just illegally obtaining weapons which is even worse as we the citizens will not have guns to protect ourselves. “A Nov. 26, 2013 study found that, between 1980 and 2009, "assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level" meaning the bans on certain types of guns are not helping they are just taking away these guns from innocent rational thinking people for whatever purpose they would wish to own these guns. (procon.org) Restricting the type of gun we can own or not allowing us to own guns at all is a violation of our constitutional rights as citizens of the United States of America. As stated in the constitution the Second Amendment of the US Constitution reads, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." (US constitution, Procon.org) I would like the outcome of these debate to be the immediate abolishment of all laws restricted on what kind of guns we are allowed to use. Doing more extensive background however I do believe that to be a smart idea the outright ban of guns is not one that is necessary or legal by the constitution. My ideas for addressing the issue to stop gun related violent crimes would be to continue to do extensive background checks so people who are not rational thinkers do not have access to the guns. Another thing that must be done to lower these crime rates is to crack down on the ways people get guns illegally such as the dark web. The government needs to stop the trade of guns for bitcoins by spending money on hackers to penetrate the dark web and shut down websites that sell guns illegally. This issue is important to me because I strongly believe that the rights we have as a U.S. citizen should never be infringed on as it is the basis of what this country is at our roots. Thank you for your time future president and I hope we can see eye to eye on this issue.

sincerely, 

Hayden C