Addison Illinois

Should We Continue The ACA? (Obamacare)

In the U.S., Obamacare has greatly decreased the number of Americans without affordable healthcare and insurance. We need to continue the ACA, but not everyone agrees.

September 21, 2016

To the 2016 presidential candidates,

I know that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has done both good and bad and some people do and don’t like it. But when you think about the good it causes, the bad doesn't even compare.

Some of the amazing things that ACA has caused is giving affordable healthcare and insurance to Americans who previously couldn't get them. Loads of people don’t like it because they are paying money to help random people. Yes the taxes are raised for everyone, and some employees are having business hours cut off so their employer doesn't have to pay for their insurance, but they still technically have full time jobs with 30-hours of work a week. Currently only about 8.6% of Americans are uninsured, which is one of the lowest rates ever in our country. An estimated 20 million people in the U.S. have gotten insurance since the ACA.

Along with getting people insurance, the ACA also provided people with more job opportunities, because when more people need insurance, you need more employees at Insurance companies, who then get more money in which they can use at stores or restaurants which will bring a need for more of those employees. The cycle continues on and on, which helps the economy. When the country gains money, it can go into other things, like helping communities so that they can have more job opportunities, more homes, and more opportunities for people to have good lives which also helps the government make money. Previously, if you got very sick and needed expensive treatment, your insurance company could cancel your insurance so they wouldn’t have to pay for the treatment. A load of people lost insurance because of this. Now with the ACA, it prevents the insurance companies from taking away insurance when catastrophe comes (like cancer or mental illnesses) like they previously could and would do.

So far as i’ve noticed, only Hillary Clinton has supported keeping the ACA. Jill Stein as I saw does not want to keep Obamacare, but will replace it with another method of getting everyone affordable healthcare/insurance, which is great because as long as we keep some working version of Obamacare, it will still help our country greatly.

The Affordable Care Act is so beneficial to so many people, and we need to keep it. I hope that you take this into consideration and help to keep the ACA

Addison P. Feign

Bernotas Middle School

Strebel's Kids

Block Two