Sophie K. Illinois

Gun Control Laws

We need common sense gun laws and all around stricter gun laws to solve gun violence.

September 21st, 2016

Dear Presidential Candidates,

Over the past decade, shooting and gun violence has become one of the biggest problems today. Hillary Clinton and Jill Stein believe we should keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill through stricter laws for the buying of firearms, background checks and common-sense gun laws. In contrast, the completely illogical Donald Trump and Gary Johnson believe that gun control laws will not stop gun violence.

Donald Trump believes that in such shootings as the ones in Paris and California, there would be less dead if there were civilians with guns shooting back. Gary Johnson thinks that the civilian possession of guns will make shooters and criminals think twice about committing crime publicly because you never know who has a gun. The problem with this logic is the question of how do they think those shooters got the guns to kill all those people. Do you think that maybe the person that sold them guns thought the customer was an innocent civilian? Another problem with that logic is Trump and Johnson want to fight fire with fire. How do you fix gun violence? Well, according to Trump and Johnson, giving more people guns should solve the problem. The fact is less guns equal less shootings, less innocent lives taken and less gun violence. And if the government had more restrictions and background checks for the distribution of firearms, the chance of guns getting into the wrong hands would decrease along with the amount of dead people by shootings.

In 2015 alone, there were 372 shootings in the US, and yet there have been no new restrictive gun laws. June 18th, 2015. 9 dead in Charleston, South Carolina. October 1st, 2015. 9 dead, 9 injured in Roseburg, Oregon. December 2nd, 2015. 14 dead, 22 injured in San Bernardino, California. July 12th, 2016. 50 dead, 53 injured in Orlando, Florida and still no new gun laws. My question for you, presidential candidates, is how many more shootings and more deaths will there need to be until you decide to make a change?

Sophie Kershaw

Bernotas Middle School

Strebel's Kids

Block Two