Priscilla C. Illinois

College Tuition

In today's world, there are many students that are not able to pursue their higher education and pursue their dreams because of the high costs of college tuition.

Dear President of the United States,

The cost of college keeps raising, and students are starting to give up their dreams. People expect students to go to college and get a great job so they could live in a great home and have a decent life without many limitations. But how are they supposed to if colleges are so expensive? Many students don’t finish college or don’t even go to college because of its cost. What if the first two years were free, except for the books, and in the meantime, students will try to find a job and start to save enough money to finish their career? This would be a solution to an ongoing problem for millions of college students.

Colleges not being affordable is one of the top five reasons students don’t go to or start college. They are making students drown in a loan and it has led families to make tough decisions for their kids, and, of course, all parents want their kids to attend college to be successful. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2015–2016 school year was $32,405 at private colleges, $9,410 for state residents at public colleges, and $23,893 for out-of-state residents attending public universities. These amounts can be overwhelming for not only the student, but also their families.

With the jobs that the students would have during the first two years of college, they will get hands-on training, which will give them the experience they need for their future jobs. Having a job can also help students with money management. It will get them prepared for the future spendings, such as for food, housing, and other items of their pleasing. It will also give them enough time to earn money and save up to invest for their future education. Lastly, it would be an opportunity for young adults to understand the process of becoming an adult with responsibilities.

The education in college is the best way to really get prepared for their future. Money should not be the object in the way of letting students go to college. They should be able to finish their education in order to accomplish their goal in life. This is why college tuition should be affordable for everyone who wants to fulfill their goal of accomplishing their career. 

Priscilla C. 

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 1/2

Ms. McGovern's Period 1/2 ELA Class