Abbi G. Illinois

Election Rights

Why should there be different rights for different parties that aren't for being Republics/Democrats?

Dear Future President, September 21, 2016

Congratulations on being the 45th president of the United States of America. I was wondering why there are only two major parties?

I believe this is unfailingly undemocratic, let alone the fact the other parties don’t even have the same rights as the major parties in debates and elections. This does not give the candidates of the other parties the same opportunities as the Republicans and the Democrats. For instance, the unofficial parties almost never get on the ballot in all 50 states and they’re sometimes lucky to get even one state to put them on their ballot. Another major right difference is the candidates of the third parties don’t get the chance to advertise to the public that they are running because they don’t have the financial back up like candidates from the major parties.

Just think, how much harder it would be to go through that same election and try to win when you were the third or fourth party. For starters, you probably wouldn’t have a chance at winning unlike the major parties. Next, you wouldn’t have the ability to advertise as much as the competing candidates. So now imagine that the country doesn’t know who you are, what you believe, what your stances are, and almost everything about you. Then there’s the Republican and Democrat candidates that are so well known and all over the news. How would you feel? Probably not the greatest and you would probably be angry. You would want the law to change, right? Well that’s the point. It is a proven fact that 50% of the USA are neither Republican or Democratic.

What this country needs is a new party(ies) for those who choose that the two other parties ( Republicans and Democrats) are not their matches or their favorite candidates. Not only does that need to happen but all parties need fair chances and fair rights so the elections allow the public, including anyone who isn’t a Democrat/Republican, have a voice in the election. Many Americans need another option. We need to change the number of major parties from two to more. We need to give everyone a voice.

Abigail G. Getty 

Bernotas Middle School

Strebel's Kids

Block Two