Michael M. Illinois

Terrorism: An Issue That Must be Handled

9/11 terrorist attacks, Boston Marathon bombing.

There is a problem, that needs to be handled. On the global terrorism list, we are ranked 35. That does not seem like a problem but it is. For example, we were attacked by Islamic terrorists many times, including 9/11.

9/11 was the terrorist attack that put us in a war with the Islamic terrorists. It was an attack on the World Trade Center in New York. This might have been the biggest terrorists attack ever on U.S soil. History.com says, “19 militants associated with the Islamic extremist group al Qaeda hijacked four airliners and carried out suicide attacks against targets in the United States. Two of the planes were flown into the towers of the World Trade Tower in New York.”

At first, to all the people in New York, this was a normal day. When the first plane crashed, it turned to chaos. Then just 17 minutes later, the second plane crashed into the other building.

Who would do such a thing? Cnn.com says, “The attack was orchestrated by al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.”

Osama Bin Laden has orchestrated many attacks not only on U.S soil but on other countries too, that’s why this issue must be dealt with. He caused 2,759 deaths of men, women, and children. Along with the deaths, there were 8,700 injured.

This attack was really bad for the families of the victims, but it also had significant economical impacts. After the planes crashing into the buildings, cnn said, “123 billion was the economic loss during the first 2-4 weeks after the World Trade Center towers collapsed in New York.”

Not only did this attack kill thousands, but it costed our country so much. 123 billion dollars! That’s why everyone knows about this attack.

A second attack caused by terrorism was also on the date of 9/11. This was the hijacked plane that was crashed into the pentagon. This was also orchestrated by Osama Bin Laden. 19 terrorists hijacked 4 planes, two going into the Trade Towers, one into a field in Pennsylvania, but the other one, went into the Pentagon. The reason why these terrorists took over these 4 planes is because they were full of fuel, they thought that if the planes had a lot of fuel, then they’d cause more damage. The planes did just that. When American Airlines flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon, a huge explosion happened because of the fuel. In this huge inferno, history.com says, “Jet fuel from the Boeing 757 caused a devastating inferno that led to the structural collapse of a portion of the giant concrete building. All told, 125 military personnel and civilians were killed in the Pentagon, along with all 64 people aboard the airliner.”

Osama Bin Laden didn’t think just a normal plane crash would do, he wanted a fueled up tank in a plane to crash into a very important building. But this wasn’t the only attack besides the Twin Towers.

In 2013, a tragic bombing terrorist attack struck Boston. During the Boston Marathon, two brothers planted pressure cooker bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. When this happened, it didn’t do as much damage as the Trade Towers or the Pentagon, but it still did a number. History.com said, “On April 15, 2013, two bombs went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three spectators and wounding more than 260 other people.”

Although these two brothers had no connection to terrorist organizations, it was still considered an act of terror. The two bombs went off, killing three, and injuring more than 260, another issue of terror that we must deal with.

With all this going on, we need a president willing to take charge and defeat or prevent terror in the United States. With the 9/11 attack on the Trade Towers, and the Pentagon, also the Boston Marathon, this must be dealt with. Stopping terrorist from doing that they have been doing won’t only help us, it will help other countries too, countries that are in extreme terror such as Iraq, Afghanistan, and Nigeria. Terrorism is growing and growing and with a president that is confident enough, we could take down terrorists with the help of other countries.

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 1/2

Ms. McGovern's Period 1/2 ELA Class