FardeenaK Georgia

Less Money, More Problems.

The federal minimum wage must be increased for people who work all day and can't afford their own daily needs.

Legs and arms, aching from working and finally getting your paycheck, only $7.25 an hour, not being able to get enough food, clothes, or sheltering your family. The federal minimum wage must be increased for people that work all day and can’t afford their own daily needs.

According to PBS, the minimum wage has been declining steadily and precipitously. The minimum wage of 1968 would be $10.90 today. All the prices of food, clothes, etc. have been going up through these years yet, the minimum wage isn’t moving at the same pace. Also, the minimum wage in the U.S. is way below other advanced countries. Economists estimate the minimum wage should be around $12 an hour based on the country’s GDP. There are about 1.3 million people working at minimum wage, 1.7 million below minimum wage, and 21 million who work above minimum wage but less than $10 an hour. All are affected because their pay is pegged to the minimum wage.

You should raise the minimum wage to at least $10 an hour. Millions of people work hard every day, but can barely afford their daily necessities. Raising the minimum wage could decrease the unemployment rate and help the United States get out of poverty. These jobs could help struggling parents support their families. In the U.S., there are states that require at least 60 hours per week at minimum wage in order to afford one bedroom unit. Some even require at least 80 hours a week. Just imagine the struggle for an entire family.

Some may say, raising the minimum wage would increase the price of consumer goods. Well, that’s not necessarily true. The truth is that the minimum wage has not kept up with inflation. Since the federal minimum wage is not indexed to increase, the number of goods that can be bought has dropped since its peak in 1968. The minimum wage in 1968 was $1.60, which is equivalent to $11.16 as of January 2016. This is way higher than today’s $7.25 minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage and indexing it to inflation could guarantee low-waged workers to adopt a standard of living along with our current economy.

Increasing the minimum wage has more benefits that weigh out the disadvantages. This could cause help millions of people get out of poverty and afford essential items for their family. This could cause to the biggest economical peak since 1968 for the U.S. I believe that you, Mr. or Madame President, could help increase the federal minimum wage and help the low-waged workers adapt to the current economy. Are you going to take charge and help America’s economy flourish?

Thank you for your consideration,

Fardeena K.