Kyle M. Texas

Concealed handgun law

Concealed handguns keep many people from getting hurt or killed and without them the world would be a horrific place.

Dear Future President of the United States,

Picture a world where there are not as many murders. Picture a world where people weren't as scared to protect their family. Picture a world where you can walk around and not be as worried. Also the second amendment states that you have the rights to bear arms. The reasons you should keep the law is for protection, Crime rate has gone down, and most states already have the law.

In our generation a lot of people get robbed or jumped. Most people can't protect themselves without a weapon, if they had a weapon they could protect themselves from getting hurt or killed. Most people see guns as violence but studies show that ”Murder rates have lowered from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, thats a 25% drop.”( Howell ) This shows that if people are able to carry handguns that they would be able to protect themselves and their families a lot better. Imagine if more people were to get a concealed gun licenses the crime rate would keep going down. If that right gets taken away murder and crime rates could easily go up.

Crime is already a big issue in the US even with their being a concealed handgun law, but imagine if that law was taken away from us. The crime rates would increase. Studies show that ”Murder and crime rates have lowered 25% since more adults have been permitted with concealed handguns.”(Lott) This shows that if we keep the law that there is a chance that the number could drop even more. If crime rate goes up again it would be horrible. Also taking the law away would be going against the 2nd amendment which is the right to bare arms.”The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1791, refers to the National Guard, which was created by an act of Congress in 1903.”(Williamson )

Many states have the concealed handgun law but not all do. If all states had this law crime rate would drop more than they have in the past few years.Recent studies show that”Murder rate was 33% lower in states that could have a gun with a permit.”(Lott) This shows that if more states were to take consideration of this law that murders would go down even more.”Forty-two states generally require a state-issued permit in order to carry concealed weapons in public.” (Concealed Weapons) This means more than 75% of the states have this law and taking that away would cause a lot of trouble because most people and states have a permit.

The concealed handgun law has helped many people keep their lives and without it crime and murder rate would go back up. Taking this law away would go against the second amendment and the rights of the people. By taking it away would put all the states and people in more danger and cause murders and crime would go up.

Howell, Kellan. "Murder Rates Drop as Concealed Carry Permits Soar: Report." Washington Times. The Washington Times, 14 July 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Williamson, Michael Z. "40 Reasons to Support Gun Control." 40 Reasons to Support Gun Control. N.p., 4 Nov. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016

Lott, John R., Jr. Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the Unit (n.d.): n. pag. Concealed Carry Permit. 16 July 2015. Web. 1 Nov. 2016.

"Concealed Weapons Permitting." Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.