Marc B. Texas

Marijuana

Marijuana is safer than you think.

Dear Future ( Gender Neutral ) President of the United States

Marijuana has had a history of misconception,after the Mexican Revolution Mexican Immigrants began fled to Southern States they smoked marijuana recreationally. White Americans didn’t like the Mexicans coming to there country so they tried to demonize Mexicans and their culture. So they deemed weed unsafe. But I think weed should be legal because in reality weed is safer than alcohol and tobacco, will help generate money for the government, and can help soothe cancer patients and in some cases help cancer patients get cured.

First reason why I think that marijuana should be legal is because it helps soothe or aid people with cancer ( Medical Marijuana ). The National Cancer Institute actually revealed that “It ( weed ) also reveals that cannabis is effective for dealing with a variety of cancer-related symptoms such as nausea, loss of appetite, anxiety, pain and sleep disturbances.” The Daily Post also said that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has anti-cancer elements and can actually help people with brain cancer. So smoking cannabis is considered cancer-free compared to cigarettes which with common knowledge you would know causes lung cancer.

The second reason why weed I think weed should be legal is because it’s safer than alcohol and tobacco. “After going through all the data and looking at which is more dangerous in almost any metric you would pick, pot really looks like it’s safer than alcohol.” Studies have also showed that people that drink alcohol have a higher chance of developing a dependency on it compared to pot smokers having dependency towards it. In the Tobacco case the UAB Division of Preventive Medicine stated that "Occasional marijuana use was associated with increases in lung air flow rates and increases in lung capacity. Those increases were not large, but they were statistically significant.’’ And the statement also said that the opposite has been proven tobacco,but there has been no evidence of the opposite effects when smoking marijuana.

The third reason why cannabis should be legal is because it can generate a lot of money for the government. It is estimated that it would make 8.7 billion dollars in federal and state tax

revenue annually. One of the states, Colorado collected almost around 70 million dollars in marijuana taxes during that time, nearly double the $42 million collected from alcohol taxes. Just imagine how much good that could be doing for our debt crisis, but it wouldn’t get us out of debt because of this time we are currently 19.8 trillion dollars in debt. But tapping into the marijuana industry would really benefit our economic crisis.

So marijuana shouldn't even be illegal the evidence for it is pretty extensive and against is pretty slim. All marijuana is the victim of false criminalization actually things such as alcohol and tobacco are legal but just because of the history with it it’s legal.

Green, Tara. "Marijuana Smoking Better for Lungs." NaturalNews. N.p., 13 Jan. 2012. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

@WPDevTeam. "Less Dangerous than Alcohol." Newstarget. N.p., 19 Aug. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

DailyHealthPost. "Cannabis Annihilates Cancer. " DailyHealthPost. N.p., 21 Oct. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Fairchild, Caroline. "Legalizing Marijuana Would Generate Billions." HuffingtonPost. N.p., 20 Apr. 2013. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Basu Tanya. "More Tax Revenue From Marijuana." Time. N.p., 18 May. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.