Jake S. Minnesota

College costs are a BIG issue!

The cost of College is so high, that almost half of students have to dropout due to high college costs.

I am writing to you about college expenses and the importance of a college education.

I believe the cost of college is so high that some kids have to drop out because it's so expensive.

the cost of receiving an education beyond high school has risen by 94.5 percent. On average, about 65.9% of high school students will enroll into college. “The cost of attendance to the in-state college of Louisiana Tech University totals out to a little over $20,000 per year. Each candidate has education as one of their top priorities. There is no doubt that this is one of the biggest issues in America.” I believe that college cost should be the priority of our future President because college is extremely important to new generations so that the world can be more smart and can excel in the future.

The issue is the cost of college. I believe that college should be more affordable so that all students can get a full college experience. “Within six years, versus 56.1 percent of those who began in fall 2007. Keep in mind, we already had the lowest college completion rate in the developed world, at least among the 18 countries tracked by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.” Also, “only 39.6 percent of undergraduates attended full time during their whole stint in school. They fared well: More than three-quarters of them finished up their degree within six years. On the other hand, the 53 percent of students who attended both full and part time struggled.” This matters because more than half of all students struggled to pay for college and are dropping out because of the costs. College explained “Younger students should have abetter chance to finish college. Supporting Example/Evidence #2: Now let's take a look at age. Of those who started school at age 20 or younger—as 76 percent of 2008 enrollees did—about 59 percent complete a degree. For older students, graduation rates were closer to 40 percent”. (Wiessmann, Jordan)

College prices are fine so that professors get their fair share and so that the university runs well.

“The tuition reductions loudly publicized by schools like Converse can also be misleading. That’s because they don’t take into account the other costs of college. At Converse, for example, the tuition cut the school said came to 43% was actually 29% when room, board, books, and all other costs were taken into account, federal figures show.” “The University of Charleston lowered its advertised tuition in 2012, to $19,500 from $25,000, to help reverse an enrollment slide. But the average price students actually paid didn’t fall, federal data shows. It rose. For families with annual incomes of $30,000 or less, the cost increased 39%”. It matters because colleges need the money for supplies and to pay for the professors. College costs

I think that our future president should reduce college costs to resolve the issue. This relates to global goal 8 because decent jobs are accomplished with a college degree. It's a priority because it will help the future generation succeed and make the world better. I think the UN wants everybody to have education that is affordable and this would show how to do so.

Please take these words into consideration for the next four to possibly eight years as the next President of the United States. Thank you.

Sincerely, Jake Sinnen

This graph illustrates my point because it shows how many people can´t complete college because of the costs.  

Chaska Middle School East

Mrs. Johnson's 8th Grade Global Studies

Global Studies class letters connecting national issues to the UN's Global Goals.