Rachelle Y. Texas

Gender pay gap

Gender pay gap is a real and serious matter and here's how

Dear future President of the United States,                                                                                                       The gender pay gap is real and i'm here to tell you why. Some people think women can't work just as long as men, you're wrong we can work just as long as men can. Some think that women are slow but we can be just as fast as men.                                                                                                                                “According to the White House, full-time working women earn 77% of what their male counterparts earn. This means that women have to work approximately 60 extra days, or about three months, to earn what men did by the end of the previous year.” (Equal pay) This states that men are currently earning more than women which in my opinion isn't fair or equal, its injustice. Women should be earning just as much as men because they work just as hard to put food on the table and to pay bills when there isn't a man around to do it. And it's right for women to have the same salary at the end of the week as a man would. Just because we are women doesn't mean we can't do things on our own.      Also people have said that women are more likely than men to leave work early to pick kids up or to call a sick day. But yes, it's true but why let the women do it all when men can step in and help with the kids or a sick day at home if a kid is unwell. But when it comes to money women need to be paid either the same amount of money as men or a $1.00 to $1.50 less. “When young women start jobs, they typically earn nearly as much as young men. In one 2013 sample, among workers who were ages 25 to 34, women on average made 93 percent as much as men, according to the Pew Research Center. The disparity grows, however, as women age.” (Women) The gender pay gap is a big deal because women who live alone need the money for bills,food, and other necessities when living alone.                                                                                                                                                                          “The analysis covered more than 2.1 million single family homes nationwide owned by either single men (1,139,493) or single women (1,011,572) based on public record tax assessor data collected by RealtyTrac.” (Womens) The American Statesman is stating that more men live alone than women, yes, men do live alone too, but women who live alone they need more money or equal amount of money as men because they work just as hard and the same amount of time as men do. Women have the work ethics as men do, also women can multitask and can do more than men do sometimes.                So I think women need to be paid more or equal to men because they need the money when they work at their jobs just as hard as men. Also they need the money when living alone for bills and other necessities like most people when living alone. Another reason is to pay for a home/house/apartment.  

Work cited

Patten, Eileen. "On Equal Pay Day, Key Facts about the Gender Pay Gap." Pew Research Center RSS. N.p., 14 Apr. 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"It’s 2016, and Women Still Make Less for Doing the Same Work as Men." Washington Post. The Washington Post, n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Constance Brinkley-Badgett 8:00 A.m. Thursday, May 26, 2016 Business. "Why Are These Men's Home Values Higher Than Women's?" Statesman. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.