Michele H. Michigan

Gay/Lesbian Rights and Equality

Many gay and lesbians are being bullied in and outside of public places.

Dear future president:

Lately, many problems have arisen from lack of LGBT rights. From bullying and harassing to death threats, some of which take play. These problems need to be resolved---quickly.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/24-awesomely-creative-ways-to-come-out-of-the-closet?utm_term=.cbyxzXmGV#.jqaJjQD2W claims that coming out can be scary and awkward, and many people face this problem. For, only 3.8% actually identify as L.G.B.T. The mass shooting in Orlando actually took place at a gay bar. This attack made many, young and old, afraid to further come out as an L.G.B.T community member in Orlando and the surrounding areas. Many say the attack at Pulse nightclub (gay bar) was an act of hate and terror including Barack Obama. The gunman, Omar Mateen, was supposedly triggered by two gay men kissing in Miami, previous to the attack. Ex-wife, Sitora Yusufiy, claims that Omar’s religion did not play a part in the shooting but others refuse to believe so.

Many students are being bullied and harassed in and outside of school. As is evidenced, 86% of L.G.B.T. community members are harassed as well as bullied. This percentage is an extremely high amount for only 27% of all other students get bullied.

Lack of L.G.B.T rights is becoming a major problem. Students, like myself, are beginning to feel unsafe at school because of the amount of bullying everywhere. Teachers and administration claim that ignoring the situation will solve it, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. So please Mr(s). President, help to resolve the issue of lack of L.G.B.T rights.