Kali H. Texas

Why Hate Crime Laws Should Be Stronger

Nowadays, many people in the United States are victims of hate crimes due to lack of protection from the government. With stronger hate crime laws we can help protect those victims and their communities.

Dear Future Mr./Mrs. President,

With all of the issues we’re faced with today, hate crimes are one of the more increasing problems. People who are victims of these hate crimes are not only emotionally and or physically hurt, but the community they’re a part of is as well. As time went on it became more obvious that the national government had to do something, so they passed hate crime laws. The hate crime laws we have today helps law enforcement find proper justice for the victims of these crimes.

“Hate crimes are different from other crimes in that the offender—whether purposefully or not—is sending a message to members of a given group that they are unwelcome and unsafe in a particular neighborhood, community, school, workplace, or other environment,”(1).  Victims of hate crimes become at risk for a number of mental health problems like PTSD, anxiety, and depression. The people who have these problems usually end up developing substance abuse addictions or violent behavior, but if their attacker is suitably taken care of and that they are given proper support and resources they would have much happier outcomes.

Before there ever was a federal hate crime law passed, if an offender committed a hate crime they had to be prosecuted based off of civil rights or violent crime statutes which resulted in longer delays for appropriate justice to be served (2). But now, with the “The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009..”(3) and other crimes laws that the states themselves have passed, “... state, local, and tribal jurisdictions… ”(4), are provided with technical assistance and funding to help them more effectively prosecute and investigate hate crimes.

People who disagree with hate crime laws may believe that it’s nearly impossible to charge someone with crimes based on their opinions and mindset. Although it is agreeable that it’s harder to determine how a person thinks, a person who commits a hate crime usually lets their hate be public. Hence the shootings, threats, attacks, and other crimes made against people and their communities. The point of a hate crime is to send a message; not to make a person feel safe.

In the times that we live in today, hate crimes are becoming more of a problem. When a large group of people are suddenly introduced to a different way of life not everyone will accept it. Some of those dissenting people believe it’s justified to hurt those who are not the same. Which is why we need stronger hate crime laws, people shouldn’t experience another Orlando shooting no matter who they are and what they believe in.

Kali H.

1.  "The Psychology of Hate Crimes." The Psychology of Hate Crimes. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

2. "Civil Rights Prosecutions: Hate Crimes." U.S. Department of Justice. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

3. "The Matthew Shepard And James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act Of 2009." U.S. Department of Justice. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

4. "The Matthew Shepard And James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act Of 2009." U.S. Department of Justice. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016. 

Cedar Valley Middle School 8th Grade ELA

Mrs. Margulies's Classes

8th grade ELA classes from Cedar Valley High School