Alexa T. Texas

College should be free

College should be free because it would benefit everyone.

Dear future president of the United States,

Picture a nation with free education. Every single person would be able to go to college even if they’re having financial issues. Many students are smart enough to go to college they just don’t attend college because of the tremendous debt they would have after college or because they can’t afford it. If your policies included free college education the economy would be better, the number of people in poverty would decrease,and less people would be in debt.

If college education becomes free the economy would get better. Since more people would have a college education more people would get a good paying job. The unemployment rate would decrease tremendously. A study done by the Fisical Times says ”Americans age 25 to 34 with a four-year college degree have a low unemployment rate of just 2.1 percent, compared to 7 percent for those without a degree”(The Fisical Times). So if college were to be free that 7% would decrease and it would bring the overall average down. Free college education would help the economy in a positive way.

Another reason why college should be free is because the number of wealthy people in the United States would go up and the number of people in poverty would go down. According to the Huffington Post “Despite five years of economic recovery, poverty is still stubbornly high in America.More than 45 million people, or 14.5 percent of all Americans, lived below the poverty line last year”(The Huffington post). I guarantee that more than half of those people don’t have a college degree. So if college were free there would be less than 45 million people in poverty and more wealthy people. The opportunity to go to college for free would change a person’s life in poverty tremendously.

More and more people are ending up in debt during college and after college. According to a study “In its ninth annual report on student loan debt, TICAS found nearly 7 in 10 graduating seniors in 2013 – 69 percent – left school with an average of $28,400 in student loan debt, an increase of 2 percent from 2012”(usnews). This is because college prices are increasing every year and students are less and less able to go to college. A study shows that “According to The College Board, the average 2014-2015 tuition increase was 3.7 percent at private colleges, and 2.9 percent at public universities. However, looking back at the last decade, the 10-year historical rate of increase is approximately 5 percent”(savingforcollege). When students end up having debt after college it sometime takes a year to repay that debt, and it hurt people financially. But if college were free nobody would be in debt and students would find going to college a lot easier.

So overall college being free would help many people and the United States in a very positive and effective way. The economy would become stronger and people would be able to live a better life with a college degree. When college becomes free everyone is going to be happy and well educated.

Braverman, Beth. "Unemployment Rate for Young College Grads May Surprise You." The Fiscal Times. N.p., 3 June 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016. <http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/06/03/Unemployment-Rate-Young-College-Grads-May-Surprise-You>.

Gongloff, Mark. "45 Million Americans Still Stuck Below Poverty Line: Census." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Allie Bidwell. "Average Student Loan Debt Approaches $30,000." U.S.News. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/11/13/average-student-loan-debt-hits-30-000>.

"The Real Cost of Higher Education." Savingforcollege.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016. <http://www.savingforcollege.com/tutorial101/the_real_cost_of_higher_education.php>.