Emily Roberts Kentucky

Should Abortion be legal?

Abortion is a woman's choice and their fundamental right.

Abortion should be any and every woman’s choice, not a choice that is decided for them. The government likes to tell us what we can and cannot do and them saying woman cannot get an abortion is not right because it is their body and they should be able to do with it as they please. Is abortion right or wrong? Should it be illegal or legal? I believe that abortions should be legal.

The US Supreme Court declared abortion to be a “fundamental right” guaranteed by the US Constitution. That means women can choose to have a baby or not to and the government cannot take it away from them. Roe v. Wade, decided on Jan. 22, 1973 in favor of abortion rights, which means a woman can get an abortion if they want one. The 7-2 decision detailed that the Constitution gives "a guarantee of certain areas or zones of privacy," and that "This right of privacy... is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy.” (Should Abortion be Legal).

Women getting to choose whether or not they have a baby empowers them by giving them control over their body and life. When women don’t get to choose what happens to their body it takes away their control and makes them feel weak. When women don’t want a child or cannot afford to have a child they should not be forced to have one, they should have the choice to terminate the pregnancy. Women have rights just like any other person so they should be able to do with their body as they choose.

Some people would say that the women should not get to choose whether or not they have a child. They will argue that the baby should get a choice because it is a human being as well. But the baby is not a human being yet because it is in the womb and cannot live outside of it yet. So the mother should get to choose what is in the best interest for her.

Being able to receive a professionally-performed abortion reduces injury and death caused by unsafe and illegal abortions. Women have always been receiving abortions even when it wasn’t legal, people found a way. It is better to keep it legal so women do not have to perform their own abortions or have someone else do it for them. If they have to do that it is very unsanitary and the women can get infections or diseases from it. They could even die if they are not careful.

In conclusion, abortions should continue to be legal. It is a right granted by the US Supreme Court, It gives women control over their own bodies, and it protects women against unsafe and illegal abortions. I believe there will always be a future for abortions whether they are legal or not. So keep abortions legal.

Sincerely, Emily Roberts