samcecil Kentucky

RECYCLING

I AM WRITING ABOUT RECYCLING.

According to EPA, “In 2013, Americans generated about 254 million tons of trash and recycled and composted about 87 million tons of this material, equivalent to a 34.3 percent recycling rate.” Although expensive, recycling is well worth the cost. Without recycling, the earth would eventually grow substantially unsafe. Recycling is the process that takes used materials and turns them into new products, therefore, recycling benefits the economy by reducing expenditures in other ways. One of the main focuses on the next president of the United States campaign should be to put more tax dollars toward recycling.

“Globally, a circular economy could save as much as $700 million (U.S.) per year”, according to a 2011 report by the McKinsey Global Institute. By not recycling, people are, in a way, just throwing money to the curb. Saving what is used and reusing it would save more than people believe. On a deeper note, studies show that, “2,200 spots had lead in the soil at concentrations that would make it unsafe for children to play in the yard.” This goes to prove that without recycling the earth would grow unsafe over time.

“133 billion pounds of food go uneaten, or about 31 percent of the available food supply.” Why waste food, when it can be reused for better, more reasonable things that will greatly impact the economy. “Americans discard 2.5 billion foam cups every year and rarely recycle their used polystyrene takeout containers.” Some don’t seem to understand the impacts of recycling before they toss their barely used cups into the trash can.

To most, recycling is expensive and inconvenient. Without the knowledge of the helpful, dramatic effects of recycling, no one would bother throwing anything into the little blue cans stationed outside of specific areas throughout town. Some would say that it involves too much effort to sort through “trash” to determine what is recyclable and what isn’t. Spending extra money on recycling seems like too big of a factor for most, but little do people know the amount of help will be given to the earth by such a small charity.

Although costly and time consuming, recycling, overall, produces nothing but helpful effects for this earth. Recycling is the reason the earth is still green, the sun is still shining, and the birds are still chirping. The next president of the United States should pay more attention to the effects rather than the opposing views with the goal being to put little tax money toward recycling to promote the wellbeing of the earth. Regardless of the opinions, recycling promotes nothing except the good of the world.