Sophia Smith California

Animal Cruelty

As you read this, another innocent animal is being abused, neglected, or forced to fight. There’s dog fighting, puppy mills, and last but not least, horse slaughter. I’m sure the animals being slaughtered, held captive, sold, overcrowded, and hoarded will agree with this letter.

Dear Donald Trump,

I am writing to you about a very serious business that’s going on everywhere. As you read this, another innocent animal is being abused, neglected, or forced to fight. The first step to creating positive change for these animals is recognizing the cruelty that threatens them. I hope this letter will persuade you to helping these innocent animals.

First, there’s dog fighting. “Dog fighting is a type of blood sport in which dogs are forced to fight one another for the entertainment and/or profit of spectators. They are regularly conditioned for fighting through the use of drugs, including anabolic steroids to enhance muscle mass and encourage aggressiveness.  Although dog fighting is a felony in all 50 states, it continues to occur in every part of the country and in every type of community.  Fights can happen in a variety of locations ranging from back alleys to carefully-staged enterprises.  Dog fights typically take place in a 14-20 square-foot pit designed to contain the animals. Fights can last just a few minutes or several hours, and both animals may suffer injuries including puncture wounds, lacerations, blood loss, crushing injuries and broken bones.  Although fights are not usually to the death, many dogs succumb to their injuries later, and losing dogs are often discarded, killed or brutally executed as part of the “sport,” according to ASPCA. Why do dogs have to go through this much pain? They are loyal, friendly, and a man’s best friend. I love dogs and you should make sure they're safe.

Second, there are puppy mills. A puppy mill is a large-scale commercial dog breeding facility where profit is given priority over the well-being of the dogs. Puppy mills usually house dogs in overcrowded and unsanitary conditions without adequate veterinary care, food, water or socialization. In order to maximize profits, female dogs are bred at every opportunity with little-to-no recovery time between litters. Puppy mill puppies, often as young as eight weeks of age, are sold to pet shops or directly to the public over the Internet, through newspaper ads and at swap meets and flea markets. In a puppy mill, dogs are often kept in cages with wire flooring that injures their paws and legs—and it is not unusual for cages to be stacked in columns. When female breeding dogs reach a point of physical depletion and can no longer reproduce, they are often killed.

And last but not least, horse slaughter. The name gives this one away easily. Horse slaughter is the taboo practice of killing horses for human consumption. “Every year, approximately 150,000 American horses are trucked over our borders to be slaughtered for human consumption. Until this practice is banned and Congress passes a law against slaughter here in the U.S., no horse is safe,” says ASPCA. “The term “horse slaughter” refers exclusively to the killing and processing of horses for human consumption. Horse slaughter is NOT humane euthanasia. While “euthanasia” is defined as a gentle, painless death provided in order to prevent suffering, slaughter is a brutal and terrifying end for horses.”

Please, pass on a law to STOP animal cruelty and ALL the animals will be safer. You will be saving most animals in the entire country. I’m sure the animals being slaughtered, held captive, sold, overcrowded, and hoarded will agree with this letter.

-Sophia S.

Lobo School of Innovation

LSI World Arts

Got thoughts?