Skylee W. California

Animal Cruelty

Animal cruelty is wrong because you are hurting a life, and why would anyone want to hurt a life?

Mr./Mrs. President

1600 Pennsylvania Ave

NW, Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr./Mrs. President:

I am an eighth grade student, that goes to Achieve Charter School. I would like to congratulate you on becoming the 45th president of the United States of America. I would like to talk to you about a problem that we have in our country. The problem I would like to discuss with you is Animal Cruelty. To define animal cruelty, it is acts of violence or negligence against animals. Animal cruelty has been a problem in our country for a long time, starting with dog fighting. I care a lot about animals because it kills me to see them starving or being killed, because their owner doesn't care about them.

One reason that proves that animal cruelty should be stopped is true, but major. The reason is that crimes are started from people hurting animals, like where people abuse animals when they were younger or abused animals before they began starting crimes. To show this I found that a survey of people who had repeatedly tortured dogs and cats, had high aggression towards people also. Two people named Dennis Rader and Jeffrey Dahmer have proved that crimes are started from animal abuse. Dennis Rader who terrorized people, also hanged a dog and cat when he was younger. Yes I know more of the crimes are started from animal cruelty, but people are not helpless, they have the ability to take care of themselves.

Pursuing this further, a question that you should ask yourself is, would you want one of your dogs in bad house conditions? One reason you should consider that question is because a recent survey of slaughter plants indicated that one percent of the beef cows arrived downed and unable to walk. Slaughter plants are where they slaughter cows for us to eat. Most of them were in that bad of condition before they left the farm. Another thing that can back up that is that in british zoos animals had dirty drinking water and stagnant. One main reason is that a rescue center for dogs, cats, rabbits, and ponies. They all lived in their own urine and faeces.

Lastly, I would like to talk to you about is people who abuse animals generally have family violence or child abuse. First, I would like to say that Indian Resident faced felony charges after authorities discovered two children and three dogs dead in their filthy home. Second, a reason for this is probably because since animal abuse is people who hurt helpless animals, that connects to why people abuse their children, because children are helpless also. Third, Maybe you could be backward if a child is being abused from one of their parents or both the child could learn from their parent or parents and abuse the animals inside of their home.

I hope that you do something about animal cruelty. Some things that have been done to improve animal cruelty is teaching children when they are how to treat animals. My suggestion is putting up posters that say “See Something, Say Something”, it is pretty much saying to report animal abuse/cruelty if you see it occurring. I just have one question. Why don’t people get sentenced if they commit animal abuse? The reason I am saying this is because people get sentenced when they kill someone, but they don't get sentenced when they kill an animal.

Thank you, Mr./Mrs. President for reading my letter. I hope that you consider my suggestion of doing something about animal abuse. I would like to congratulate you again on becoming the 45th president of the United States of America.

Skylee W.