Vyviane R. California

Down With SeaWorld

Dear future president, Please close Sea World. SeaWorld is very guilty about animal abuse and mistreatment, such as: breeding, capturing marine life from the wild, and using them for the entertainment of others.

Please close Sea World. SeaWorld is very guilty about animal abuse and mistreatment, such as: breeding, capturing marine life from the wild, and using them for the entertainment of others. California has already banned breeding orcas in captivity, however they are still breeding dolphins, whales, and sea lions. Animals should not be forced breed, some ends up with a miscarriage and it leads to depression. One beluga whale named Ruby was continually forced bred by SeaWorld despite each pregnancy leading to a tragedy. Fischbeck, a former SeaWorld worker,stated that Ruby was floating on the surface and her skin was turning yellow. She was moved to the back so the guests won't see her horrible condition. Ruby later died in 2014. "You can't find Ruby's necropsy anywhere," she said. "I've asked my past coworkers and everyone's really hush-hush about it. No one wants to lose their jobs." 

Also, where do you think SeaWorld gets their whales and dolphins from? SeaWorld buys or either capture the whales and dolphins. They say that they are nurturing them, however they do not release them back into the ocean where they belong. They keep them in the small tanks and the poor whales and dolphins won't be able to move in big areas. Due to the capture, whales and dolphins are separated from their families which causes depression. A orca named Lolita was captured at the age of 4, has spent the past 46 years in a tiny tank. She hasn't seen another orca in 26 years. She has been exposed in the sun too often she has been  diagnosed with a pterygium, also called 'surfer's eye.' She cannot escape the sunlight nor can she even see. Is SeaWorld even caring for their marine life? Reyes, veterinarian and cofounder of marine biology association Odyssea said that Lolita appears to be a "chronically ill patient with frequently recurring infections and mildly impaired kidney function … This frequent medication can have, and may have already had, negative impacts on her liver and kidneys." 
Everyday SeaWorld gave Lolita multiple heavy medication. She gets frustrated and stressed which causes her to head bobbing and jaw-popping. Poor behavior puts everyone at risk, according to Hargrove. "The significance of this is that when an animal, especially an orca, is failing that much, they become very frustrated and aggression becomes highly probable," he wrote. The tank she is in is shared with dolphins, which scraps her skin with their teeth.  The tank is also very small that her tail can reach the bottom and her head can stick out of the water on top.  

Please end this horrible mistreatment of animals in SeaWorld. They do not deserved mistreatment at all, but they deserved love. 

Vyviane 

works cited:

https://www.thedodo.com/seaworld-beluga-calf-whale-breeding-1970449617.html

https://www.thedodo.com/lolita-sick-testimony-1978125917.html