ilayna s. New York

Bullying a Worldwide problem

Bullying has affected the lives of many children, teenagers and adults. It has made them feel alone, helpless and that they don't have a voice and no one has stopped it.

Dear President:

Hello, my name is Ilayna and I would like to address the national issue, bullying. I was bullied from the age of 4 years old to middle of my freshman year of high school and I've seen and experience the damage that bullying has done to children and adults and having the schools and people around you not having anything done about it because they don't want to “cause more problems” or “make it a big deal”. But bullying has become an issue all across America, has affected many lives and needs to be stopped.

Bullying arose decades ago in western culture when it tested a man’s strength on his “path to glory”. It later evolved into becoming a source of comedy or humor. But years later bullying became a serious threat to the emotional and physical health of victims being bullied by others for humor and a laugh. When a person bully's someone they feel a sense of superiority and power. But in the victim's shoes the person feels weak, alone, powerless, and depressed.

From bullying, we see more children and adults face depression, suicide, anxiety, personality disorders, obesity/ weight problems and more. Also, we see on the news shooting by kids in schools who are being bullied and lash out because the child needs help, more deaths in some places and in schools from people committing suicide and physical harm to themselves as a way to feel better (such as cutting themselves or hurting themselves with other items).

If schools were more involved in the lives of students, if there were clear laws in place to stop bullying, and if adults and peers took the time to help a friend, family member or worker to help them with their problems. We will have a decrease and eventually an overall end to the problem of bullying. The next president should reach out and get involved to be there for people who are bullied and help stop it.

Thank you for taking the time to see how bullying is a problem to myself and the rest of America.

Ilayna S 

Sanford H. Calhoun H.S.

Ms. Finneran's U.S. History Class

Although the news on all the problems in the country can be depressing these days, the ideas of the students in my first period U.S. History class fill me with hope and optimism every morning. I love starting my day with them! They are a group of young people with passionate ideas and concern about the future. I am excited that they have this platform to share their ideas with you and hopefully our next president!