Noelle L. New York

Gun Violence Could Take Your Life

Gun violence in a major issue and should be considered to have regular checks on the holders of these

Dear President:

Hello, my name is Noelle and I am a junior at Sanford H. Calhoun High School. I am writing you a letter to discuss what you can do as my President to help prevent and/or stop gun violence. Within the past 10 years guns violence has progressed so much that each year 32,000 people are shot and killed as a result. Gun violence is an important topic to me because I believe that there is no reason for thousands of innocent people to be wounded and/or killed every year. Also, I believe it is important for people to feel safe in there everyday normal environment.

When it comes to gun violence, there are numerous factors causing these incidents. One important factor is that guns are being brought into the home. Although it can be a way of protection, in certain scenarios, it can be fatal. Some people do not realize that bringing a gun into your home can potentially cause a horrible accident. Another cause of gun violence is flat out guns just “falling” into the wrong hands. Guns have a way of making people become someone they are not. An example of this is the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The shooter was flat out crazy and he just was not in the right state of mind. But since then, according to Forbes magazine, guns remain the only consumer product not regulated at the federal level for health and safety.

As a result to gun violence, over 32,000 people die each year because of guns. This takes a major effect on the America and its people. Because of guns being brought into homes, Forbes states that hundreds of innocent children have been unintentionally shot and killed in the past five years. Also many people take there lives everyday, committing suicide with a gun. As my president I ask you to help stop these easy preventable acts to stop from happening. In 2012, a horrific mass shooting occurred in a elementary school. This shooting was not only terrible but the lives that were taken should not have been. The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School was an act of a gun falling into the wrong hands. What you should do, as our president, is help prevent gun violence by having a stronger background and mental health checks on the person who is looking to purchase a gun. Also have regular check ins with the people who own guns. Gun violence is a thing that should be taken serious. So many people die everyday because of it. President number 45, would you take it seriously.

I’d like the thank you for your time and for reading my letter. Also I’d like to thank you for your support in creating a safe environment for your people. So they can feel safe in their everyday lives. Thank you again.

Sincerely.

Noelle 

Sanford H. Calhoun H.S.

Ms. Finneran's U.S. History Class

Although the news on all the problems in the country can be depressing these days, the ideas of the students in my first period U.S. History class fill me with hope and optimism every morning. I love starting my day with them! They are a group of young people with passionate ideas and concern about the future. I am excited that they have this platform to share their ideas with you and hopefully our next president!