Kevy V. Pennsylvania

Gun Violence

Background checks will help cut down on gun violence.

Imagine if the world was safe from gun violence, of course this is an impossible feat, but we can keep guns away from dangerous people. There are a lot of guns in the US. This causes fear in neighborhoods because they don’t know if the person who owns the gun is a threat to them or not. We need to cover all gun sales with background checks to keep the guns away from threatening people. When I say threatening people, I mean people who have a violent criminal record that could be dangerous to society if in possession of a gun.

There are 310 million guns in the US right now. That’s approximately 90 guns for every 100 people. Some of those guns could be in possession of violent criminals which creates unrest in civilians. Each day that passes, 306 people are shot in murders, assaults, etc. Our homicide rate is 20 times higher than other 1st world countries combined. That is horrifying to know that the homicide rate is that high compared to countries like France and Spain. Everyone in this country is affected by gun violence, from adults to teens and even children.

In America, only 60% of gun sales are covered by background checks. The 40% not covered are from gun shows, online sales, etc. We need to cover 100% of gun sales to keep guns away from violent people that can go off in any moment. We can infer their tendencies by checking any violent criminal records they have. If the records are recent, don’t give them guns. But they can still get it easily online and gun shows. To make America safe, we need background checks for 100% of gun sales so people know that the government is trying to cut down on the homicide rates. Civilian safety should be the number 1 priority for America.