Bryan B. Michigan

Let's build a more peaceful world

Although building up these war torn nations may be difficult or may even seem impossible, creating a more peaceful world, where no nation feels the need to wage war is worth any cost.

From World War II to the Mongolian Conquests, for as long as anyone can remember, there has been a struggle for power. Right now the United States is the nation that has made its way to the top. This in turn means that the US should continue to fight for supremacy and demonstrate why they are the world’s strongest country, or does it? As the leading world power I feel as the United States should feel more obligated to use their power to help other nations in need, creating a world where no one needs to fight for dominance.

America has so much potential to do good for the world. After World War II the US saw a ruined Japan and Germany, but instead of leaving them to fend for themselves our great nation decided to help rebuild the two war torn countries. While it might have cost America billions of dollars, our economy still has not failed us yet, and becoming allies with Germany and Japan, making sure that they would never wage another world war, was well worth its cost.

While the US did great work handling post World War II, that era of making peace has ended and very little is done to help prevent wars. The most notable recent case of the United States stirring up a war, is the crises in the middle east. Now let's be honest, US and many other countries only get involved with other countries if suits their interests. And the reason the US has intervened in the middle east has not been to spread democracy or freedom, but to acquire oil from that region. Messing with their politics and leaving soldiers in the middle east has only anger the people of that region, allowing terrorist groups such as Al-qaeda and ISIS to gain support against the “American tyranny” that has been plaguing the middle east for years. According to a poll conducted by BBC, a majority of people from countries from across the world, such as: China, Great Britain, Germany, Brazil, Kenya, Mexico, etc…. believe that our military presence in the middle east is provoking war more than it’s preventing it.

As a nation we should repeat the our history with Germany and Japan by helping other nations in need. Countries like Sierra Leone and Somalia, need help to fix what they believe are their problems, before more extremist groups seize control. Although building up these war torn nations may be difficult or may even seem impossible, creating a more peaceful world, where no nation feels the need to wage war is worth any cost.

Bryan B.

Avondale High School

Avondale High School

Honors English 10