Lexi Minnesota

Free College

I feel that college should be free for all people. Everyone should have the opportunity to go to college.

As of 2014, 23% high school graduates end up not going to college because they cannot afford the college tuition. 31% of 52% can't go to college anymore because they can’t afford the tuition and the fees. So basically they go to school for a period of time and end up dropping out because the tuition got way too expensive. I could go on and on with statistics that show that college is way too expensive but I rather tell you what we can do about it. Everyone should have the opportunity to go to college and not be afraid of the payment.

I feel that US citizens shouldn’t have to be scared or worried about college because it’s too expensive. After people drop out they always have that hard decision whether to go back or not. Unfortunately its very hard to go back to college after you drop out. According to Public Agenda article “With Their Whole Lives Ahead of Them” by anonymous, about ⅓ (36%) that drop out of college say going back is even harder.

College needs to be paid by the government or raise taxes. Today in the world, the total tuition at public college and universities amount is about $70 billion per year. But according to Senator Sanders College for all Act Article by Bernie Sanders, he said that under the Act, the federal government would pay 67% of the cost and the states would have to pay 33% of the remaining cost. If this Act went through there would be so many job opportunities open and there wouldn’t be a low percentage of high school graduates not going to college.

So to the Next President of the United States, I would love it if you could make a law on free college or lower the price. Citizens shouldn’t be worried about the payment just because they want to get an education. Citizens shouldn’t have to drop out because they can't afford it. Everyone should have the opportunity to go to college and not be afraid of it.

Lexi

10th Grade

Mendota Heights, Minnesota