Will H. Minnesota

Paying College Athletes

Lets get these players some $$$$

Dear Donald Trump, 

I advise you to use your (soon-to-be) extreme power to look at an often overlooked and big issue in our society today. On average the typical Division 1 college athlete spends 43.3 hours a week on their sport which is 3.3 more hours than the typical american work week. The NCAA claims they are a nonprofit organization yet they bring in about $11 billion in annual revenue from college sports, which is more than the NBA and NHL. Back in 1905 when the NCAA was first founded, there was an opposition to paying the coaches that had a similar argument to those against paying players. The difference is that as time has passed, the coaches now get paid and it's not a small sum. Recently the average salary for a BCS eligible football coach was $2 million. 

With all this time players spend on sports and trying to make the program they represent the best it can be, shouldn't they be rewarded with some money? Especially since everyone else in the industry is making money off the players themselves? These players also save the university lots of money by providing "free" advertising in the university, as success in college sports is believed to improve the application rates and caliber of admitted students at certain universities. In 40 of the 50 U.S. states, the highest paid public official is currently the head coach of a state university’s football or men’s basketball team...

Why should the coach get so much, but the players nothing?