Taylor L. Minnesota

Penniless in America

Read about the solutions we can take to reduce the poverty rate in America.

When people hear the word poverty, it silences them. No one wants to face the problem that is affecting humans all over the world, but you, Mr. President, have the power to push the poverty rate into a downward spiral within the United States. In 2015, 13.5 percent of all Americans, lived below the poverty line, according to the Census Bureau. Also reported: in 2014, the poverty rate was 14.8 percent, and has been going down in recent years. With your help and attention on this concern, it’s possible that percentage could dwindle down to merely zero.

One of the first connections many make to poverty is third-world countries. Little do people know, this problem is apparent in our own backyard. FeedingAmerica reported 43.1 million people were in poverty last year, 14.5 million being under the age of 18. This matter is not of complicated nature, and is not something to take lightly. There are solutions to this problem, and with the president’s help these courses of action can be put into play.

Solutions to this problem are found by funding more assistance programs, creating more jobs, and raising the minimum wage. Putting more money into programs that help people in need would benefit the poverty-stricken population with essentials such as food, drink, shelter, and clothing. Creating more jobs would allow those in hardship to provide for themselves or their family and get back on their feet. Raising the minimum wage allows the impoverished to work and live off of their pay. If the wage is too low, many will need to work multiple jobs and sometimes that still isn’t enough.

Works Cited:

Bureau, US Census. "Poverty." US Census Bureau. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2016.

Name, By. "Hunger and Poverty Facts and Statistics." Feeding America. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2016.

Benilde-St. Margaret's School

Non-Fiction Writing Per. 1

Thoughts and concerns from high school seniors in Minneapolis