Christina M. Connecticut

No More Homework

Many students around the world are getting very stressed out about homework. Since you are the president of the United States, I hope you will understand how homework is affecting students daily lives in a negative way.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Throughout my years in middle school and my first year of high school, I had come to the conclusion that homework has been taking over my life. That may sound a little dramatic because I do have after school sports that I attend, but everyday I am always so overwhelmed and stressed out about homework. I have been trying to deal with it, but it has gotten out of control. I try to concentrate to get all of my homework done, but I am always too stressed out.

When I try to finish my homework for the next day, I always end up staying later then I anticipate to. This affects my behavior and appearance at school, because I do not function as well as I would if I had a good night sleep. This shows how homework is making students (including myself), less active at school because of lack of sleep. I hope that you will be able to help fix this problem in order to increase the amount of sleep students get each night.

Homework is one of the main reasons students get stressed out.  The stresses cause students to develop depression, which eventually leads to kids missing school and failing their classes. Studies have shown that more than two hours of homework is counterproductive to students learning. Lastly, young kids who have depression and stress is not healthy. Therefore, the workload for students needs to decrease.

The Healthline, a website focused on children's health stated, “When it came to stress, more than 70 percent of students said they were 'often or always stressed over schoolwork', with 56 percent listing homework as a primary stressor. Less than 1 percent of the students said homework was not a stressor”. This shows how homework is stressing kids out and is affecting how they behave after school. Many kids get very tired since they wake up so early in the morning, and coming home to a ton of homework to do is not beneficial.

I think that kids should get an hour of homework a night, ranging from 10-15 minutes per subject. This would make kids less stressed and they wouldn’t get as tired after school. They would be able to stay awake throughout the school day and after school.

Homework should still be requirement, but not as much of it is necessary. I am hoping that you would be able to reduce the amount of homework students get each night. If you are able to accomplish this then, students wouldn't be as stressed out, depressed, and overwhelmed. Thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate this issue.

Christina

Greenwich High School

English 113

English 113