Hannah R. Michigan

Music improves the soul

How music education has improved the lives of all.

My name is Hannah Robertson and I am going to tell you what music education means to me.

When I was 6 years old I was diagnosed with a slight form of epilepsy causing the nerves in my brain to erupt. Therefore my body would react by simultaneously shaking, as this process was uncontrolled and my face of reality was in shock. It was basically as if I had no control in my right arm, and I was put into utter panic. This happened weekly for three years. Without the help of extracurricular programs and educators who were willing to work with my disability, I never would have excelled to the extent that I have both knowledgeably and socially. I am a senior at Clarkston High School in Clarkston, Michigan and I am currently enrolled in the Clarkston High School marching band and I am in the International Baccalaureate program intended for students who want to endure rigorous and extended base learning. Without the education I was provided with growing up, and the programs endured outside of school, I do not believe I would be as educated and happy as I am today.

When it comes to The Arts, I have an extremely personal and strong connection to marching band and how it helped me and others excel. School would not be school, without the social and mental aspect along with stress.

I have never felt stress free, unless I am playing the piccolo or surrounded by those I have learned to connect with.

Music has changed my pace and way of living to the fullest extent and I truly do not believe I would be as social or as knowledgeable without the help of music.

In today's society there are many aspects to how music can help one excel, not only socially and emotionally, but physically. Those with speech impediment have been found to excel at a quicker rate while using music as a tactic of learning, than those who have not. Speech and music have very similar aspects in common. While learning to read those who have previous musical experiences actually have an enhanced perception of language which in turn allows the reader to be provided with a wider range of interpretation. As with speech impediment, those who have past musical experience have been thought to hear the music, interpret the piece and match the tone of the piece to the words needed to be pronounced in front of them.

Again, recent studies have proved that learning to play an instrument enhances the ability to “remember words through enlargement of the left cranial temporal regions. Musically trained participants remembered 17% more verbal information that those without musical training.” (Hallam, 1)

Through the information provided you can understand how music interpretation has enhanced the many lives of those who face daily struggles.

Music has an interpersonal connection to me and therefore I feel music education should be enhanced and thought to be a bigger and broader part of schools throughout the world. Music helps children, minors, and adults excel at rates not even they knew they could. Music helped ME excel at a rate not even I knew I could.

Music education should be taught worldwide, as it is currently lessening and attention has been lifted off. Contrary to popular belief, music does NOT decrease your ability to remember. The scores of those who have listened to music while studying were significantly higher than those who did not use music as a tactic to help them study.

Education is extremely important. BUT, so is music.

“Music improves your soul”

I hope from this you can understand that music has impacted the lives of so many, and brought the lives of so many, together and without music and the arts provided for us at school our social abilities could greatly decrease. As band students are the most accepting and wide varied kids I know.

Thank you and best regards,

Hannah Robertson ‘16

Eisele IB ELA 12

IB