Cameron Ohio

The Issues Of The American Education System

Students struggle, and get worse every year in our current education program. My letter adresses my concerns with the current system in our country. "Educating the mind, without educating the heart, is no education at all." Aristotle.

10/27/16

I am writing you today because education is the most important issue in this country. It’s our future, and if it isn't done right, we have no future and no country. Education needs to change because It doesn't test student knowledge in general, and It is unfair for poor families to compete with other families. I am a junior at Oak Hills High School, and I have first-hand experience about how education is handled in our country. For example, I've learned stuff that I don’t think will help me be independent and have a house. If we got everyone to contribute, we could make this better. I want this system to have a big change in our society, and don’t even feel smarter or prepared to go into the real world.

One reason is that It doesn't test student knowledge in general with its current practices. AKA standardized testing doesn’t help students learn and become smart in school. One quote states "[Chicago Public Schools] teachers have reported being forced into teaching their students testing strategies, at the expense of teaching content and processes to enable students to meet standards." This shows that teachers struggle to meet deadlines for the state to teach stuff, and the teachers are rushed for tests that the states give. It doesn't give kids the valuable asset of true learning. It’s just preparing for a test. If you don’t believe me, here is some facts, “Recent nationwide poll conducted by researchers at Education Next found that teachers' approval rate of the Common Core dropped from 76 percent in 2013 to only 46 percent in 2014.” Even the teachers will agree that this isn’t helping our students achieve success.

Another reason as to why It needs to change is it is unfair for poor families to compete with other families. Many families can’t afford good many things, and a proper school with excellent education isn't one thing many poor families worry about. They need the money to survive which is another issue on its own. One quote states “Children who do not have access to health care, who are hungry, who are exhausted from nighttime symptoms of asthma, who are fearful of violence in their communities, who do not have books or access to other informal learning at home, whose parents have limited education, whose families are constantly stressed by economic problems, and who do not go to libraries and museums in their free time are at an academic disadvantage. " This shows what I said earlier that many families are continually stressed for money, and don’t have the energy or time to worry about their child’s education. They need to worry about basic necessities like a home, food, clothes, etc... Not a higher education.

I have a suggestion for you to make a change to this issue. You need to remove common core and standardized testing from the education curriculum., and while putting money into poor school districts to give more students more opportunities for a higher form of education. Also, giving teachers more options to teach their students. We need to be on par with everyone else in this country. While some may say that the current system of our education is ok, and testing makes kids better. For example giving them a good job. However here's how I'm right. In my school career, I found no reason as to why testing helps me. It is more of a waste of time, and resources to keep pushing this out against us. I feel no different than I was in elementary, and I don't see the point in this state-mandated curriculum. This is our future. Children are our future. And right now, I don’t see any future in this country. This matters because we need a country of intelligent people coming in. Most importantly, with a good education. I fear that this generation will be the end of us. The schools need to get better and teach our kids meaningful stuff to actually survive in the future. I care about my future, and right now I feel like I don't know how to do anything when I'm going to be on my own. We learn, and prepare for redundant things that won't benefit us. Only the politicians who only want money in their pockets in spite of us. The benefits of having this out of our school system is what this country needs. It will encourage more cooperation with the teachers, give students more time to learn materialand give a meaningful discussion about what kids will do in the adult world.

So in conclusion, the education system needs to change because It doesn't test student knowledge in general, and It is unfair for poor families to compete with other families. To be a successful country we need it, or we are dead in the water. I want to have a life with meaning and purpose. I want school to be a fun and engaging party of a child's life. Not how it is now. Thanks for your time reading this letter, and I hope you listen to my advice.

Cameron 

""Teachers Take an Ethical Stand Against Testing." Teachers and Ethics. Ed. Noah Berlatsky. Farmington Hills, MI: Greenhaven Press, 2016. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "CTU Position Paper: Debunking the Myths of Standardized Testing." Ctunet.com. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 18 Oct. 2016

Kenna, Laura. "Opposition to Testing Is Well Intentioned but Unorganized." 2015. Rpt. in Teachers and Ethics. Ed. Noah Berlatsky. Farmington Hills, MI: Greenhaven Press, 2016. Opposing Viewpoints.

”Teachers Take an Ethical Stand Against Testing." Teachers and Ethics. Ed. Noah Berlatsky. Farmington Hills, MI: Greenhaven Press, 2016. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "CTU Position Paper: Debunking the Myths of Standardized Testing." Ctunet.com. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 18 Oct. 2016.