Britlee B. Utah

Do You Want to Make a Difference?

Humanitarian Assistance

Dear Mr./ Madam President,

I am writing to acquaint you with the importance of humanitarian work. I may not know everything there is to know about this, but I do know that one person can make a difference in someone’s life. This is something I want to see in our citizens, and this is something I want to see in our country. There are so many people around the world today that require the help of other countries. As of 2015, according to the Global Humanitarian Assistance Report, there are around 95 million people who survive because of the effects of humanitarian assistance. Helping to improve the lives of others is an important and essential part in our purpose to make the world better. Since America is such a privileged country, we should take the initiative to help those who need our help.

As humans, we have moral values that help us strive to become the best possible individuals we can be. When we use our influences to uplift others, we uplift ourselves in the process. There are so many benefits to providing humanitarian help. Some of these include providing a sense of purpose, receiving love from others, and becoming happier. Some people will never fully know the effects of showing compassion, unless they are the ones giving it. Carolyn CJ Jones is a motivational speaker and coach who wants to make the world a better place through offering service and relief to others. She offers her ideas on the topic of compassion: “Compassion is important to show to others because it evokes peace among us as people in the world.” She is one of the people who knows what it means to understand, care for, and love others. If we in this country can see the importance of this simple yet powerful gesture, this world would be a great deal happier.

Sometimes, the smallest acts of kindness can mean a lot in the life of someone who doesn’t have as much. Theodor Seuss Geisel, more commonly known as Dr. Seuss, once said, “To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world”. This is a powerful statement about the impact you can have on someone’s life, and in return receive love and gratitude. I have a cousin who travels to different third world countries, building and repairing water wells so the people there can have access to clean, healthy water. His organization may not be the biggest or the most well know, but the people who received his help will forever remember his service. When he came back from his last trip, he told me that he felt that he was the one who received the love, and not just the individuals whose lives were literally changed. If we can understand that this life is about helping others, we will be able to live much more happy and productive lives.

I’d like to end by sharing one of Mother Teresa's famous saying, “Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless”. Mother Teresa was a Catholic humanitarian who wanted to make a difference in the world. She taught that it doesn’t take much for you to do something good for someone who needs help. Even the smallest thing can leave a lasting impact on the lives of individuals who need our help. As the president of the United States, it is up to you to be an example to your country of the power that comes from showing compassion, and giving service. I trust that you will do what you know is right.

Spanish Fork High School

AP Language 16-17

AP Language Letters to the Next President